“What is it?” Bethany said, as Trev pulled the box out of the ground. Even under the protective shade of their tent, the heat was still oppressive.
“I think,” Trev said, breathing heavily as he heaved the box onto the top of the trench, “we’ve struck gold.”
Bethany grinned. It was this. What they had come all the way out here for. What they had dug for months for.
“Can we open it?” she said, throwing her trowel to one side and falling to her knees in front of the box. Even though the sand was still covering the carvings, you could see the hints of the detail that lay beneath. A whole world of knowledge about the Old World was about to be discovered, and it was going to be her and Trev that found it.
And the magics, she thought, can’t forget about them.
“Not yet,” Trev said, chuckling as if he thought Bethany a fool. Which, if she was to admit it, she was rather. No one tried to dig up a relic and then demonstrate that the relic could wipe out thousands of cities with the plague.
But then, Bethany hadn’t really told Trev her whole plan. That would have to wait until nightfall, when the moon rose full in the sky and she could have access to her candles.
Then, she thought, the fun will begin.
Featured Image by Alice Hampson on Unsplash
- Reunited“Can you stop flicking that bloody coin,” Regan said, “it’s annoying.” Chasey flicked the coin up high again, catching it as it fell back towards her hand. “No,” she replied, “it … More Reunited
- We’re not going that way“Why not?” “Why not?!” Favian’s voice rose another octave, “because I don’t want to die, Renglat. I like all my limbs on me, not in the mouth of some gods forsaken … More We’re not going that way
- Do you recognise this song?“Do you recognise this song?” The words were raspy and barely formed. Marlie moved her head slowly on the bed towards Ranlen, looking up at him through gauzes and bandages. “Do … More Do you recognise this song?
- March of the ValentasAshayra was taller than Miaken expected. He knew that she was from the South, and like all Southeners was always going to be tall, but he did expect her to have … More March of the Valentas
- You can’t re-write history“Stop this!” Vashna screamed, pulling at the ropes around his wrists, “for the sake of yourself, Maynie, you need to stop!” Maynie looked up from the alter, hair askew and magic … More You can’t re-write history
- No way I’m eating that“There is no way on this side of the eleven circles of afterlife I am eating that,” Tanker scrunched his nose up at the proffered sandwich. “Oh come on,” Flanks said … More No way I’m eating that