Ia looked down on the smoking remains of their village. Even from up here, in the safety of the mountains, she could taste the ash on the air. The anger inside her was deep, she had warned the council that the humans were advancing across their borders and yet they did nothing.
And still did nothing.
“Mummy,” Salea asked, tugging on her hand, “why do the humans hate us?”
Ia looked down at her daughter, her scales still green with youth, and tried to keep her anger from showing in her voice.
“Sometimes people don’t like others,” Ia said, “and no matter how hard you try they will not change their minds.”
Salea looked down on the remains of the village, her yellow eyes flickering over the destruction. It was hard enough for the adults to understand the depth of the hatred the humans had against the Tevai, let alone the cubs of the group.
“Will we ever go back?” Salea asked.
“I hope so,” Ia replied. Tev be dammed, they had to go back. There was no way that they could safely inhabit their planet, let alone their system, without fighting back against the humans’ warpath of destruction. But without the council’s support, there was no way that they were going to start a warring campaign against the humans.
And certainly not whilst Yei is in charge, Ia thought. Yei might have been a good leader during peace time, but this was a time of war. And no peace talks or deals had stopped the humans ripping up the rule book and decimating their home and killing their kind in droves.But one day we will have our revenge, Ia thought looking at her daughter, and it shall be the sweet nectar of death.
This flashfiction was first posted in 2018
Featured Image by Alice Hampson on Unsplash
- Sundown Sky“Reminds you of home, doesn’t it?” Canath remarked, kicking their legs under them. In front of them, the great City of Naithe burned into smolders, leaving trailing smoke floating high into … More Sundown Sky
- Slow Down“Can we please slow down a bit? I need a rest.” “I need to rest,” Davi said, sitting heavily on the dirt track, “please.” “We don’t have time, Davi,” Tabatha grabbed … More Slow Down
- This is not a plan“You said you had a plan for this?! Flying into the port with no approvals is not a plan.” Taelew looked over at his co-pilot. Yivonn was not one for breaking … More This is not a plan
- Arrival at Maalek“Here we are,” their guide announced, “the legendary city of Maalek,” Serene rolled her eyes. The sprawling ruins in front of her did not look anything like the ballads that Kieraj … More Arrival at Maalek
- Traits of a Turned“You don’t understand me” he said, head in his hands, “you can’t see inside my head.” Amily sighed at her brother. He was in a sorry state, not that she would … More Traits of a Turned
- Reunited“Can you stop flicking that bloody coin,” Regan said, “it’s annoying.” Chasey flicked the coin up high again, catching it as it fell back towards her hand. “No,” she replied, “it … More Reunited