Ia looked down on the smoking remains of their village. Even from up here, in the safety of the mountains, she could taste the ash on the air. The anger inside her was deep, she had warned the council that the humans were advancing across their borders and yet they did nothing.
And still did nothing.
“Mummy,” Salea asked, tugging on her hand, “why do the humans hate us?”
Ia looked down at her daughter, her scales still green with youth, and tried to keep her anger from showing in her voice.
“Sometimes people don’t like others,” Ia said, “and no matter how hard you try they will not change their minds.”
Salea looked down on the remains of the village, her yellow eyes flickering over the destruction. It was hard enough for the adults to understand the depth of the hatred the humans had against the Tevai, let alone the cubs of the group.
“Will we ever go back?” Salea asked.
“I hope so,” Ia replied. Tev be dammed, they had to go back. There was no way that they could safely inhabit their planet, let alone their system, without fighting back against the humans’ warpath of destruction. But without the council’s support, there was no way that they were going to start a warring campaign against the humans.
And certainly not whilst Yei is in charge, Ia thought. Yei might have been a good leader during peace time, but this was a time of war. And no peace talks or deals had stopped the humans ripping up the rule book and decimating their home and killing their kind in droves.But one day we will have our revenge, Ia thought looking at her daughter, and it shall be the sweet nectar of death.
Featured Image by Alice Hampson on Unsplash
- Traits of a Turned“You don’t understand me” he said, head in his hands, “you can’t see inside my head.” Amily sighed at her brother. He was in a sorry state, not that she would … More Traits of a Turned
- Reunited“Can you stop flicking that bloody coin,” Regan said, “it’s annoying.” Chasey flicked the coin up high again, catching it as it fell back towards her hand. “No,” she replied, “it … More Reunited
- We’re not going that way“Why not?” “Why not?!” Favian’s voice rose another octave, “because I don’t want to die, Renglat. I like all my limbs on me, not in the mouth of some gods forsaken … More We’re not going that way
- Do you recognise this song?“Do you recognise this song?” The words were raspy and barely formed. Marlie moved her head slowly on the bed towards Ranlen, looking up at him through gauzes and bandages. “Do … More Do you recognise this song?
- March of the ValentasAshayra was taller than Miaken expected. He knew that she was from the South, and like all Southeners was always going to be tall, but he did expect her to have … More March of the Valentas
- You can’t re-write history“Stop this!” Vashna screamed, pulling at the ropes around his wrists, “for the sake of yourself, Maynie, you need to stop!” Maynie looked up from the alter, hair askew and magic … More You can’t re-write history