“There is no way on this side of the eleven circles of afterlife I am eating that,”
Tanker scrunched his nose up at the proffered sandwich.
“Oh come on,” Flanks said next to him, her voice crackling over the comms unit, “why the hell not.”
“I ain’t got any idea of what’s in it,” Tanker said, “could have eggs. Or mice.”
“It’s cheese,” Ironedge said, waiving the sandwich in Tanker’s face, “you ain’t got cheese where you’re from?”
“We’ve got proper food,” Tanker said, “like beans, insects, sauces. Not some bread and cheese nonsense.”
The disgust on Tanker’s face was made even more comical by the way he recoiled as Ironedge shoved the sandwich closer. Only Ironedge could get away with teasing Tanker like that, anyone else would have been sworn at bad enough for Flanks to call order.
Prerogative of Ironedge being his big sister, perhaps, Unale thought.
“Look we’ll ask Captain,” Ironedge said, kicking Unale in the boot, “hey Cap what’s your view on sandwiches?”
Unale glared at Ironedge for bringing her into the conversation.
“No strong feelings,” Unale said, “they’re a useful Earth food, granted.”
“But do you like them?”
“We didn’t have wheat in Rathe-IV, so no bread. We did have those leaf wraps, those were good-“
“So it’s a no to sandwiches?” Tanker said.
Unale was grateful for the siren that flashed into life about their heads. Almost at the drop off point.
“A conversation for another day,” Unale said, “Ironedge, eat that quick and then get your helmet’s on. We’ll be dropping in 5.”
Enjoy this flash fiction? Check out some of my others below!
- Sourvenir“What do you think?” Francesca said, holding up a tiny little elephant. It screamed “Tourist souvenir”, which her mother would hate, but Francesca didn’t care. It was small enough … More Sourvenir
- The RunnersWinya dropped her bags on the floor. The metal floor rung out as the heavy bags slammed into the floor. Winya winced. Rugs, then, Winya thought, looking around her … More The Runners
- Sundown Sky“Reminds you of home, doesn’t it?” Canath remarked, kicking their legs under them. In front of them, the great City of Naithe burned into smolders, leaving trailing smoke floating … More Sundown Sky
- A Green WorldNadine woke to the sound of birds singing. It was still weird, to hear that instead of the constant hum of the city traffic. Even after fifty years of … More A Green World
- Peace“What do you think?” Ilyen asked, taking another bite out of his dinner. The burrito juice dribbled out of the end of the paper wrapping, spilling onto the metal … More Peace