It’s been a bloody day on the battlefield, you know this. You daren’t tell your platoon how bloody, in case they try another revolt. Everyone is drawn out, everyone is tired.
You look, through your helmet, at the sunset of another world. Your home world has a gentle red and orange sunset compared to the harsh blue of this world’s toxic sky.
You’re doing it for them, you think, as you see your children dance across the inside of your visor screen.
They’ll be free from the invasion, if you win here. If, being the operative word.
This flashfiction was first posted in 2019
Featured Image by Alice Hampson on Unsplash
- Sundown Sky“Reminds you of home, doesn’t it?” Canath remarked, kicking their legs under them. In front of them, the great City of Naithe burned into smolders, leaving trailing smoke floating high into … More Sundown Sky
- Slow Down“Can we please slow down a bit? I need a rest.” “I need to rest,” Davi said, sitting heavily on the dirt track, “please.” “We don’t have time, Davi,” Tabatha grabbed … More Slow Down
- This is not a plan“You said you had a plan for this?! Flying into the port with no approvals is not a plan.” Taelew looked over at his co-pilot. Yivonn was not one for breaking … More This is not a plan
- Arrival at Maalek“Here we are,” their guide announced, “the legendary city of Maalek,” Serene rolled her eyes. The sprawling ruins in front of her did not look anything like the ballads that Kieraj … More Arrival at Maalek
- Traits of a Turned“You don’t understand me” he said, head in his hands, “you can’t see inside my head.” Amily sighed at her brother. He was in a sorry state, not that she would … More Traits of a Turned
- Reunited“Can you stop flicking that bloody coin,” Regan said, “it’s annoying.” Chasey flicked the coin up high again, catching it as it fell back towards her hand. “No,” she replied, “it … More Reunited