“You think this will help?” Treyko asked, twisting his head in the vice of the chair. Even now, he still smiled. Heelna remembered those days, before she too had been plugged into the mainframe.
Easier days, simpler days.
“You know it will,” Heelna replied, as she tightened the wrist straps on Treyko’s wrists and upper arms. Injecting the implant bots was not the hardest part, that came afterwards when the user would be hit with a wave of information that could burn their brain like electricity.
This process had a 50% survival rate when done under proper conditions. When done in the back of the ship’s lab, three thousand lightmiles away from the closest medical centre, it was probably down to about 20%.
But still, Treyko was prepared to do it. They needed another with access to the mainframe, and since Ophel had died-
“Come on Hee,” Treyko said, bracing himself against the chair, “you know it’ll be fine. It’ll help. We need two minds to access the ships mainframe to drive this damn lump of metal. We can’t just float in space for much longer.”
No, they couldn’t. They all knew that.
“Ready?” Heelna asked as she lowered the needle over Treyko’s elbow.
“Ready,” he replied.
She pushed the needle into Treyko’s arm.
Featured Image by Alice Hampson on Unsplash
- Reunited“Can you stop flicking that bloody coin,” Regan said, “it’s annoying.” Chasey flicked the coin up high again, catching it as it fell back towards her hand. “No,” she replied, “it … More Reunited
- We’re not going that way“Why not?” “Why not?!” Favian’s voice rose another octave, “because I don’t want to die, Renglat. I like all my limbs on me, not in the mouth of some gods forsaken … More We’re not going that way
- Do you recognise this song?“Do you recognise this song?” The words were raspy and barely formed. Marlie moved her head slowly on the bed towards Ranlen, looking up at him through gauzes and bandages. “Do … More Do you recognise this song?
- March of the ValentasAshayra was taller than Miaken expected. He knew that she was from the South, and like all Southeners was always going to be tall, but he did expect her to have … More March of the Valentas
- You can’t re-write history“Stop this!” Vashna screamed, pulling at the ropes around his wrists, “for the sake of yourself, Maynie, you need to stop!” Maynie looked up from the alter, hair askew and magic … More You can’t re-write history
- No way I’m eating that“There is no way on this side of the eleven circles of afterlife I am eating that,” Tanker scrunched his nose up at the proffered sandwich. “Oh come on,” Flanks said … More No way I’m eating that