Dany looked at the shattered pieces of pot on the floor and smiled.
The Sand Pot that had dictated her movements her whole life lay in pieces on the floor.
“You little-” her mother started, lashing out with a slap.
Davy patted it away lazily. The benefits of being taught how to fight meant that her parents didn’t scare her anymore.
“I’m not going to be ruled by some sand,” Dany hissed, rubbing the sand into the Reed mat with the sole of her sandle, “my life is mine-”
“It is Fanvel’s!” her father, “you dare snub the God of Life?”
“I didn’t chose this life” Dany retorted, swiping up a piece of the pot and hurling at her father, “you did!”
Her mother started crying. She always did when the row escalated.
I’m not your slave anymore, Dany thought.
Her father stared at her, at the sand at her feet.
“You will feel his wrath,” her father warned, “Fanvel does not take pity on traitors.”
“Then I’ll be ready for him,” Dany said, “and I’ll be waiting for him. Then he’ll see who he’s messing with that.”
Dany turned, grabbing her bag from the sofa, and walked out to her mother’s wails. Her father said nothing, he always said nothing.
I’m free, Dany thought, as she walked out of the front door onto the bustling street of City Traney, I’m finally free.
Featured Image by Alice Hampson on Unsplash
- Can’t Do It“I can’t do it,” Felruza slammed her fist against the table. Why was it so damn hard? Why could everyone else do this one simple thing and … More Can’t Do It
- Like the Sky at Sundown“You’re orange,” A bit of a state-the-obvious comment from Ryan. Cassie wiped the orange blood of her blade and sheathed her weapon. Monster blood never made for … More Like the Sky at Sundown
- The Document (A Teacup Story)“You got it?” Fethna asked as Nattali got into the car. “Ye of little faith,” Nattali said, pulling out the folder from under her jacket. It hadn’t … More The Document (A Teacup Story)
- Music (Stories on a Theme – “Soft”)Anya shut her eyes and let the music drift over her pounding headache. The speakers were on their lowest setting, so as not to make it worse. … More Music (Stories on a Theme – “Soft”)
- Finding Home (Stories on a Theme – “Soft”)Rain hammered around them. Another storm, this one would hopefully pass quickly. In that moment, Rantia did not feel the rain smacking into her shoulders and soaking … More Finding Home (Stories on a Theme – “Soft”)
- Solitary Confinement (Stories on a Theme – “Isolate”)“Can I sit?” Yanet looked up from her lunch. The woman, a newbie by the yellow stripes on her arms, stood with her tray of food. She … More Solitary Confinement (Stories on a Theme – “Isolate”)