Consider how you would talk to your partner, your sibling, or someone at work. You might have different jokes that Having a unique world starts with the geography of that world. The geography of your world will dictate the climate of your world, your character’s homes and cities, and aspects of the way they interact with that world. It’s the foundation to any good worldbuilding, and the beauty of it is you can go as complex or as simple as you like!
This month in my newsletter Writing on Caffeine, I’m looking at where you can draw inspiration for your worlds, how to link your magic system to your geography, and different ways to introduce your world to your readers.
Not yet signed up? You can subscribe to my monthly newsletter by clicking the button below!
Featured Image by USGS on Unsplash
- Having all the time in the world isn’t always a good thingYou might think that having all the time in the world to do your writing is a good thing. You have these images of people with unlimited time sitting there with a candle burning, a notebook and … More Having all the time in the world isn’t always a good thing
- February Thoughts – Welcoming SpringThis month has been a waxing and waning of writing inspiration and time. Sometimes I find there are weeks I can sit at a desk and write a lot, other times I have to go and rest … More February Thoughts – Welcoming Spring
- Consume stories, regardless of the mediumThere is a lot of good writing advice out in the internet ether that recommends reading a lot if you want to write a lot. This advice has a lot of truth in it, and it is … More Consume stories, regardless of the medium
- Goodbye JanuaryJanuary has come and gone in a blink of an eye it feels like. I’ve been improving my wordcounts on my novel, and had a few plot-based breakthroughs this month that I’ll talk about more in a … More Goodbye January
- My thoughts on Ship of Magic – beginning the Liveship Traders TrilogyHaving finished the Farseer Trilogy, I then had a decision whether I wanted to follow the rest of the Realm of the Elderlings storyline in chronological or published order. I decided to go with chronological, which then … More My thoughts on Ship of Magic – beginning the Liveship Traders Trilogy
- Closing thoughts on 2022It’s the end of December, and the end of 2022. This year has been a bit of a rollercoaster, and the last few months in particular have taken me away from all things writing and blogging. It’s … More Closing thoughts on 2022