Consider how you would talk to your partner, your sibling, or someone at work. You might have different jokes that Having a unique world starts with the geography of that world. The geography of your world will dictate the climate of your world, your character’s homes and cities, and aspects of the way they interact with that world. It’s the foundation to any good worldbuilding, and the beauty of it is you can go as complex or as simple as you like!
This month in my newsletter Writing on Caffeine, I’m looking at where you can draw inspiration for your worlds, how to link your magic system to your geography, and different ways to introduce your world to your readers.
Not yet signed up? You can subscribe to my monthly newsletter by clicking the button below!
Featured Image by USGS on Unsplash
- August ThoughtsAugust has been a lot like July in terms of creativity. A month to be outside, doing things rather than sitting at a desk writing. One thing I’ve been trying to tackle is the middle plot for … More August Thoughts
- Stuck in the MiddleI’ve got pages and page and pages of notes trying to work out the sequence in the middle of the story. It’s the bridging piece between the beginning setup and the key middle sequence and by gods … More Stuck in the Middle
- Writers Block can be a BlessingIt’s not just all about the negative when it comes to writer’s block. In fact, I think writer’s block can be a blessing in certain circumstances. We’re too hard on our creative selves to create, create, created, … More Writers Block can be a Blessing
- A time of Doing ThingsWhenever I look at the month of July on my writing wordcount spreadsheet, it is always a lower number, without fail, every year. Summertime, even with the hangover of the pandemic still thundering across the collective world’s … More A time of Doing Things
- The Basics of a Fantasy StoryThe fantasy genre may be a vast, magical landscape, but there are always three core areas of any fantasy story that are key – worldbuilding, magic systems, and themes. If you’ve always wanted to try your hand … More The Basics of a Fantasy Story
- Wordcounts aren’t everythingWordcounts are a stable of any writer’s life. They’re an excellent way to measure progress through a draft, and a good way of working out how your pacing is working through a story. But they’re not everything, … More Wordcounts aren’t everything