In one of my blogs last month, one of the reasons I said why writing is a Good Hobby is because you don’t need all the time in the world to sit down and write. Today, I want to talk about how to write when you’re busy, and my top tips on how you can still create even when your diary is jam packed with other activities.
Focus on one project
It’s easy when you’re busy to try and let your ideas list spiral out of control. After all, it’s easier to write down a new idea than it is to try an execute an existing one.
However, my first top tips is when you’re busy focus on one project. Have one project that’s your key project, the priority for your time. That way, when you find yourself with ten minutes free to spend doing your creativity, you can crack on with writing rather than picking which idea you want to focus on.
Slow and Steady
When you’re busy, the progress you can make on your project can seem incremental. Almost so incremental that you can’t really tell what progress apart from the fact you opened up the document to try and work on it.
This is my next tip – remind yourself that slow and steady gets you to the end of the race as well. Sure, you might not have all the time in the world but that does not mean your project is any less worthwhile. It just means you might get to the end of your project a little later than you otherwise would have.
Everyone has their own path
When you’re busy, especially when you’re busy, it can feel like everyone else has all the time in the world. Of course, that is why they can write, with all of that time and lack of stress or commitments holding them back.
This is my next tip: remind yourself that everyone has their own path. Remind this to yourself when you see someone take a different path to your own, and remind yourself that your path, despite being busy and sometimes overwhelming, is 100% yours to own.
Your busy life will not stop you achieving your goal, it will just mean you take a different path to get there.
Writing isn’t always the most important thing
Sometimes, other things take precedence over writing, and that is okay. In fact, that is more than okay. Because your job pays for your day-to-day life, your relationships give your life richness and your other activities give you different opportunities to grow. Not everything has to be about writing.
So when you have ten minutes and you decide that writing isn’t the most important thing that day, don’t feel guilty. It’s okay to make something else the priority.
Set your expectations in reality
Linked to a number of the points above, set your expectations realistically. If you’re busy, then it might be unreasonable to say that you’ll finish your novel in a few months. So don’t punish yourself if you take longer with something – instead, set your goals knowing how busy you actually are.
Then, when you achieve those goals (and you will!) you’ll be doing so without burning out.
What are your tips?
Do you have any tips for how to manage writing whilst you’re busy? Let me know in the comments below!
Featured Image Credit: Andrijana Bozic on Unsplash
- Using Minor Characters in your WritingWhen I talk about a minor character, I’m talking about those characters who doesn’t really have a purpose beyond adding colour to a particular Point of View character’s story. Perhaps it’s the person serving … More Using Minor Characters in your Writing
- Using Sub-Plots in your Fantasy StoryFor me, a Sub-Plot is anything that takes the characters away from the main thread of the story on a merry little jaunt of their own, and then weaves its way back towards the … More Using Sub-Plots in your Fantasy Story
- How to create a map of your fantasy worldYou know you’re reading a fantasy book when the first two (or sometimes multiple) pages are of maps of the world. These help give your reader a visual context (and help remind them where … More How to create a map of your fantasy world
- Giving your Character a unique voiceEvery character needs a strong, clear voice to help bring the reader into their world. Whether it’s an accent or turn of phrase, every person has a unique way of communicating – the way … More Giving your Character a unique voice
- How to use description in your fantasy novelAt some point, you’re going to have to tell your reader the image you see in your mind. You’ll need to try and capture that image, to the best you can, in your words … More How to use description in your fantasy novel
- Top Tips for creating power structures in your fantasy booksIdentifying how power works in your world is important because, let’s be honest, power is what drives society. Who has it, who doesn’t have it, and what those in power do with that power … More Top Tips for creating power structures in your fantasy books