Having a distinctive character voice for each character can help your reader understand their secret inner words. Not just through dialect, but the type of words they use and who they use those words too.
Consider how you would talk to your partner, your sibling, or someone at work. You might have different jokes that would be okay to tell your husband, but not your work colleague. With your work colleagues you might be more formal, use longer words (depending on your job), but with your siblings you might have more “Banter”.
A character’s “voice” is their way of interacting with your world. It is a key tool in the writer’s arsenal to help with exposition, and can really help sell a character’s POV for a reader.
This month in my newsletter Writing on Caffeine, I’m looking at how you can write a good “character voice”, and some top tips on how to craft your own unique character voices!
Not yet signed up? You can subscribe to my monthly newsletter by clicking the button below!
Featured Image by Photo by Priscilla Du Preez on Unsplash
- Wordcounts aren’t everythingWordcounts are a stable of any writer’s life. They’re an excellent way to measure progress through a draft, and a good way of working out how your pacing is working through a story. But they’re not everything, … More Wordcounts aren’t everything
- Choosing the Right Words‘Sticks and stones my break my bones, but words will never hurt me’. It’s an old adage, one which is rattled out again and again to try and say how words are only mere words and therefore … More Choosing the Right Words
- Reflections on Half a YearSummer time is a time of transition. A time of transition from the early spring to the full bloom of warmth and sunshine (or in the case of the UK, rainstorms), and a time to reflect on … More Reflections on Half a Year
- Where to find InspirationWhere can you find inspiration? Well, I’ve got some top tips on how you can find inspiration when you can’t find any – you can check out my gues block on Inspired Lines Editing right here! Photo … More Where to find Inspiration
- Why writing is a good hobbyGet a hobby, people say. Normally roughly around the time when you’ve sighed about work and not having much to do at the weekend. But then, finding a hobby is easier said than done. Especially when you’re … More Why writing is a good hobby
- Why I WriteTo say I cannot write would be an understatement. To say I was a perfectionist would be a truth. To say I was a dreamer would be realistic. There are words locked within my mind, this I … More Why I Write