Get a hobby, people say. Normally roughly around the time when you’ve sighed about work and not having much to do at the weekend.
But then, finding a hobby is easier said than done. Especially when you’re in the middle of a slump and staring down the barrels of existence wondering how on earth life is supposed to have meaning beyond the 9-5 grind.
So, this blog is for you people, the ones that are a bit lost and looking for something to do – this is my reason why if you have ever enjoyed the written word, you should give writing a go.
It’s all yours
Now, depending on what kind of person you are, the idea of solitude and quiet thought can either fill you with joy or with dread. I’m the kind of person that needs some quiet space in between the busy-ness of the day, and writing helps me carve out that time which is just for me. No obligations to anyone else, just me and a blank page with some good music on the background and suddenly the world falls away and I’m in the scene.
So that’s why I recommend trying writing as a hobby – even if it’s not creating fantasy stories or magical worlds, you can make space for you. And in a world that is becoming ever busier, that is incredibly important.
Writing is Cheap
Hobbies, like anything in this world, cost money to some level or degree. If you wanted to try a new sport or a new activity, there could be membership fees or equipment you have to buy.
Writing can be like that. But the beauty of writing is that it also can just be as simple as a spare piece of paper, a pen and an idea. You don’t need lots of equipment to create stories or connect your ideas with the world.
Not got the time? Writing has your back
If you go on any kind of social media and follow writers you’ll see many people with photos of beautifully laid out desks, a writing schedule of 15 hours a day, and beautiful views. And all of those things are good and fine and valid, but you know what?
You don’t need all the time in the world to write.
Sure, if you’re trying to make a particular goal you’ve set for yourself, there might need to be more time allotted to it – in the same way you might need to train for a marathon if you’d signed up for one. But to take up writing as a hobby doesn’t need hours of wistful thoughts staring at great vistas. It can be just 10 minutes whilst your waiting for dinner to cook, tapping away on your phone.
So give it a go!
Give yourself ten minutes, a prompts list, and see what you come up with! I hope, just maybe, you will find as much joy in your new hobby as I have.
Alex.J.Cobalt is a fantasy writer from the UK. When she’s not working away at her fantasy novel series, she posts free flash fictions on her website, along with regular blogs about writing.
Photo by Fotografierende on Unsplash
Want writing advice delivered to your inbox? Sign up for my monthly newsletter below!
- Away from the Keyboard – May ThoughtsMay has been taken up with other things other than writing. Good, happy, positive things, that have kept me busier than ever and have turned my world upside down. But it … More Away from the Keyboard – May Thoughts
- Edits and UpcyclingIt’s been a while since I’ve written a novel update, mostly because it’s been a while since I’ve sat down and focussed some time on my novel. For me, beginnings of … More Edits and Upcycling
- Why Your Writing Goals are ImportantI do love a good goal. I particularly enjoy setting goals, even if I know they are overly ambitious and slightly ridiculous. Here are my three reasons why writing goals are … More Why Your Writing Goals are Important
- Life can get illogical, and that’s okay – April ThoughtsThis month has been a month of frustration, tears and joy. It’s been a lesson in patience, a lesson in bring flexible, and a lesson in life. There are many things … More Life can get illogical, and that’s okay – April Thoughts
- Why writing is a great hobbyGet a hobby, people say. Normally roughly around the time when you’ve sighed about work and not having much to do at the weekend. But then, finding a hobby is easier … More Why writing is a great hobby
- March UpdateThis month has been a month of exploring new ways of trying to write. I’ve got some new noise cancelling headphones, and in an attempt to try and change up how … More March Update