“I can’t do it,” Felruza slammed her fist against the table. Why was it so damn hard? Why could everyone else do this one simple thing and she couldn’t?
“It’ll come,” her mother said from across the table. Her voice was gentle, it always was, the opposite of her innate power which was creating fireballs from her hands.
Everyone had their own gift. Every single person Felruza knew.
Apart from Felruza.
“I’m cursed,” Felruza cried against the table, “the gods don’t want me to have powers.”
“That’s not true, Felrz,” her mother said, gently wrapping her hands around Felruza’s, “you’re not cursed-”
“Then why don’t have I have a power? Even Rulat has powers,” Felruza spat her younger brother’s name. He had discovered his power, talking to animals, that very morning.
Everyone had a connection to the earth, a blessing from the Gods, apart from her.
“I’m cursed,” Felruza cried. She was cursed, that was the only thing that could be the reason. Her mother might protest, but she didn’t know the truth.
She didn’t know Felruza had offended the Gods, when just a child. She didn’t know the words whispered in Felruza’s ear, whispering the demise of her life and her village if she did not acquire to their demands, to take on the curse of the island, to hide it secret.
“You’re not cursed, Felrz,” her mother said, kissing the top of her head gently, “it’ll happen, one day.”
Felruza cried into the table, knowing that was not true.
Based upon the prompt from my February Edition of “Writing on Caffeine”. If you want more writing prompts & advice, sign up by clicking the button below!
Photo by Gregory Pappas on Unsplash
Other stories of mine you might enjoy:
- You can’t re-write history“Stop this!” Vashna screamed, pulling at the ropes around his wrists, “for the sake of yourself, Maynie, you need to stop!” Maynie looked up from the alter, hair askew and magic wild in her eyes. … More You can’t re-write history
- Why did you say that? (Flash Fiction)“Why did you say that?” Tanee paused, wiping the knife on his sleeve. “What?” he whispered, “about the prophecy being bullshit? You and I both know we can’t live our lives in accordance to some … More Why did you say that? (Flash Fiction)
- We’re not going that way“Why not?” “Why not?!” Favian’s voice rose another octave, “because I don’t want to die, Renglat. I like all my limbs on me, not in the mouth of some gods forsaken creature.” Renglat sighed. The … More We’re not going that way
- Under the Arches (Teacup Story)“Do you have it?” Lauren nodded, hand still tucked inside her jacket. It might not seem much, this little tin box full of blue powder, but it was going to change the world. Their world. … More Under the Arches (Teacup Story)
- Trick (Stories on a Theme – “Magic”)“See this?” It was the watch that always got their attention. People seemed to gravitate to the huge face, the sparkly dials and the complicated mechanism inside. Gerag held the watch up in front of … More Trick (Stories on a Theme – “Magic”)
- Tiola’s Bay (Stories on a Theme – “Sea”)“Docked, Captain!” Captain Elaya Truthwatch tipped the edge of her hat at her First Mate, Rodgers, to acknowledge the information. “We’re here for five days, Crew!” she yelled over the ship. Her voice carried easily … More Tiola’s Bay (Stories on a Theme – “Sea”)