“I can’t do it,” Felruza slammed her fist against the table. Why was it so damn hard? Why could everyone else do this one simple thing and she couldn’t?
“It’ll come,” her mother said from across the table. Her voice was gentle, it always was, the opposite of her innate power which was creating fireballs from her hands.
Everyone had their own gift. Every single person Felruza knew.
Apart from Felruza.
“I’m cursed,” Felruza cried against the table, “the gods don’t want me to have powers.”
“That’s not true, Felrz,” her mother said, gently wrapping her hands around Felruza’s, “you’re not cursed-”
“Then why don’t have I have a power? Even Rulat has powers,” Felruza spat her younger brother’s name. He had discovered his power, talking to animals, that very morning.
Everyone had a connection to the earth, a blessing from the Gods, apart from her.
“I’m cursed,” Felruza cried. She was cursed, that was the only thing that could be the reason. Her mother might protest, but she didn’t know the truth.
She didn’t know Felruza had offended the Gods, when just a child. She didn’t know the words whispered in Felruza’s ear, whispering the demise of her life and her village if she did not acquire to their demands, to take on the curse of the island, to hide it secret.
“You’re not cursed, Felrz,” her mother said, kissing the top of her head gently, “it’ll happen, one day.”
Felruza cried into the table, knowing that was not true.
Based upon the prompt from my February Edition of “Writing on Caffeine”. If you want more writing prompts & advice, sign up by clicking the button below!
Photo by Gregory Pappas on Unsplash
Other stories of mine you might enjoy:
- Under the Arches (Teacup Story)“Do you have it?” Lauren nodded, hand still tucked inside her jacket. It might not seem much, this little tin box full of blue powder, but it was going to change the world. Their world. … More Under the Arches (Teacup Story)
- Trick (Stories on a Theme – “Magic”)“See this?” It was the watch that always got their attention. People seemed to gravitate to the huge face, the sparkly dials and the complicated mechanism inside. Gerag held the watch up in front of … More Trick (Stories on a Theme – “Magic”)
- Tiola’s Bay (Stories on a Theme – “Sea”)“Docked, Captain!” Captain Elaya Truthwatch tipped the edge of her hat at her First Mate, Rodgers, to acknowledge the information. “We’re here for five days, Crew!” she yelled over the ship. Her voice carried easily … More Tiola’s Bay (Stories on a Theme – “Sea”)
- The Unathe (Stories on a Theme – “Magic”)Athery played a solitary note on his flute. The smoke at the centre of the room quivered, just slightly. The magic hung heavy in the air, making the smoke from the incense slowly curl around … More The Unathe (Stories on a Theme – “Magic”)
- The Schism Sea (Stories on a Theme – “Sea”)Daneli sat at the bow of the ship, looking out on the horizon. The Schism Sea was vast, she had known that already. She had studied the maps and the diagrams showing the depth of … More The Schism Sea (Stories on a Theme – “Sea”)
- The Runners (Stories on a Theme – “Hope”)Winya dropped her bags on the floor. The metal floor rung out as the heavy bags slammed into the floor. Winya winced. Rugs, then, Winya thought, looking around her tiny apartment. The apartments on Esl-5 … More The Runners (Stories on a Theme – “Hope”)