It settles beneath your skin, into your very bones.
You cannot help it. It is like a virus, slipping past your defences. You cannot help but feel the cold shiver running down your spine as you look at the clock and calculate how little time you have.
The ask is too much, you know it.
But you say yes anyway.
And accept the stress is the consequence.
That same stress that one day, might burn you out.
But hopefully, that day is not today.
Featured Image by Alice Hampson on Unsplash
First Posted in 2020.
Other stories of mine you might enjoy:
- Whisper (Stories on a Theme – “Soft”)Sometimes I think I can hear you in whispers. In the wind through the trees or the rustle of grass. In the crumple of paper or the bell on a bike. In that moment I forget you’re … More Whisper (Stories on a Theme – “Soft”)
- What If? – “Prompts on a Theme” (Future)A short based on this weeks “Prompts on a Theme” – Future. What if it goes wrong? What happens if they hate me? What if they don’t reply? Are they okay? Are they injured? Maybe dead? I … More What If? – “Prompts on a Theme” (Future)
- Teacup Story – LanguageTo think that language is just a form of communication is to not understand what communication is about. It’s the sharing of ideas, of stories and thoughts. It’s a history unto itself, a place where you can … More Teacup Story – Language
- Teacup Story – Goodbye AngerCasey writes to move forward with her thoughts, and her life (Genre – General, Genre – Introspective, Universe – Diary of Casey Macford, Rating – 12) Anger is a good emotion, a strong emotion. It is an … More Teacup Story – Goodbye Anger
- Teacup Story – EnoughEnough – What does it mean to just be? (Genre – General, Genre – Introspective, Rating: PG) To be is enough. To breathe is enough. To smile is enough. Enough sometimes feels like it is a level to … More Teacup Story – Enough
- Teacup Story – A quiet kind of sadnessSometimes, sadness does not have to be loud to be powerful (Genre – General, Rating: PG) The sadness is not a loud, screaming, ugly sobbing sadness. It is a quiet sadness. An acceptance that this is the way … More Teacup Story – A quiet kind of sadness