A bit of a state-the-obvious comment from Ryan. Cassie wiped the orange blood of her blade and sheathed her weapon. Monster blood never made for a particularly delightful colour. Least it was better than the stuff they had up North, which was acidic blood.
“Stating the obvious much,” Cassie remarked, kicking the corpse of the creature. This one had been a juvenile, skirting too close to the main encampment. A few missing animals they could cope with, but when it had started attacking the gate-keepers something had to change.
Which was the point they called in Cassie and Ryan.
“No, in a nice way,” Ryan remarked, grinning, “like the sky at sundown.”
Cassie rolled her eyes.
“You and your compliments,” Cassie remarked, “you should be a poet.”
“I could have been, had I not met you and go taste for monster hunting,” Ryan replied, still smiling, “take the head back to the garrison and get our reward? Heard the pie and ale in these parts is good.”
“Yes definitely,” Cassie replied, “we want to be within those walls before the sun goes down fully. I don’t particularly fancy meeting it’s fully grown version without a garrison behind me.”
Based upon the prompt from my January Edition of “Writing on Caffeine”. If you want more writing prompts & advice, sign up by clicking the button below!
Photo by Billy Clouse on Unsplash
Other stories of mine you might enjoy:
- The Lost Mage“So, you used to be famous?” Marle could hear the excitement in her Granddaughter voice. Surprisingly, it didn’t hurt as much as she expected it to. It had … More The Lost Mage
- No Fighting, Not Anymore“We’re not fighting, not anymore.” Geiler held out her hand and dropped her gun on the floor. It rang out across the silent cavern with a resounding thud. … More No Fighting, Not Anymore
- The Joining Payment“We’ve got 10 minutes until the alarm goes off.” Fezula didn’t look concerned. She was never concerned about this. “Fine,” she replied, “let’s get to work.” She held … More The Joining Payment
- Can’t Do It“I can’t do it,” Felruza slammed her fist against the table. Why was it so damn hard? Why could everyone else do this one simple thing and she … More Can’t Do It
- Like the Sky at Sundown“You’re orange,” A bit of a state-the-obvious comment from Ryan. Cassie wiped the orange blood of her blade and sheathed her weapon. Monster blood never made for a … More Like the Sky at Sundown
- Not TodayThere are times that we remember the position the world has for us. The position that the world deems us to be in. The forced posture, the sucked … More Not Today