A bit of a state-the-obvious comment from Ryan. Cassie wiped the orange blood of her blade and sheathed her weapon. Monster blood never made for a particularly delightful colour. Least it was better than the stuff they had up North, which was acidic blood.
“Stating the obvious much,” Cassie remarked, kicking the corpse of the creature. This one had been a juvenile, skirting too close to the main encampment. A few missing animals they could cope with, but when it had started attacking the gate-keepers something had to change.
Which was the point they called in Cassie and Ryan.
“No, in a nice way,” Ryan remarked, grinning, “like the sky at sundown.”
Cassie rolled her eyes.
“You and your compliments,” Cassie remarked, “you should be a poet.”
“I could have been, had I not met you and go taste for monster hunting,” Ryan replied, still smiling, “take the head back to the garrison and get our reward? Heard the pie and ale in these parts is good.”
“Yes definitely,” Cassie replied, “we want to be within those walls before the sun goes down fully. I don’t particularly fancy meeting it’s fully grown version without a garrison behind me.”
Based upon the prompt from my January Edition of “Writing on Caffeine”. If you want more writing prompts & advice, sign up by clicking the button below!
Photo by Billy Clouse on Unsplash
Other stories of mine you might enjoy:
- Saturn’s Waves (From the Archives)“I’ve got it,” Xanete said, pushing the box across the table. The room was silent. Xanete could feel the tension in the air from the other three … More Saturn’s Waves (From the Archives)
- Tiola’s Bay (From the Archives)“Docked, Captain!” Captain Elaya Truthwatch tipped the edge of her hat at her First Mate, Rodgers, to acknowledge the information. “We’re here for five days, Crew!” she … More Tiola’s Bay (From the Archives)
- Decay (From the Archives)Nadine watched as the world crumbled at his feet. The magic tore through the town, turning the buildings and people alike into dust. He lowered his hand. … More Decay (From the Archives)
- Get Up (From the Archives)“Get up,” Unle said, resting her cutlass under her son’s chin. She could feel the eyes of the crew, watching her every move. Hulan looked up at … More Get Up (From the Archives)
- Discovery (From the Archives)“What is it?” Bethany said, as Trev pulled the box out of the ground. Even under the protective shade of their tent, the heat was still oppressive. … More Discovery (From the Archives)
- Reunited“Can you stop flicking that bloody coin,” Regan said, “it’s annoying.” Chasey flicked the coin up high again, catching it as it fell back towards her hand. “No,” … More Reunited