A bit of a state-the-obvious comment from Ryan. Cassie wiped the orange blood of her blade and sheathed her weapon. Monster blood never made for a particularly delightful colour. Least it was better than the stuff they had up North, which was acidic blood.
“Stating the obvious much,” Cassie remarked, kicking the corpse of the creature. This one had been a juvenile, skirting too close to the main encampment. A few missing animals they could cope with, but when it had started attacking the gate-keepers something had to change.
Which was the point they called in Cassie and Ryan.
“No, in a nice way,” Ryan remarked, grinning, “like the sky at sundown.”
Cassie rolled her eyes.
“You and your compliments,” Cassie remarked, “you should be a poet.”
“I could have been, had I not met you and go taste for monster hunting,” Ryan replied, still smiling, “take the head back to the garrison and get our reward? Heard the pie and ale in these parts is good.”
“Yes definitely,” Cassie replied, “we want to be within those walls before the sun goes down fully. I don’t particularly fancy meeting it’s fully grown version without a garrison behind me.”
Based upon the prompt from my January Edition of “Writing on Caffeine”. If you want more writing prompts & advice, sign up by clicking the button below!
Photo by Billy Clouse on Unsplash
Other stories of mine you might enjoy:
- Can’t Do It“I can’t do it,” Felruza slammed her fist against the table. Why was it so damn hard? Why could everyone else do this one simple thing and she … More Can’t Do It
- Like the Sky at Sundown“You’re orange,” A bit of a state-the-obvious comment from Ryan. Cassie wiped the orange blood of her blade and sheathed her weapon. Monster blood never made for a … More Like the Sky at Sundown
- Not TodayThere are times that we remember the position the world has for us. The position that the world deems us to be in. The forced posture, the sucked … More Not Today
- Not anywhereDead Dead. Not alive. Not here. Not anywhere that I can perceive. Just. Not here. What does that mean for life, when death is so swift and random. … More Not anywhere
- New DayEach day is an unknown. It doesn’t feel like an unknown. You can have plans, have thoughts, have things to do. But each day is an unknown. Treat … More New Day
- Reclaiming Ara’bantheFathie pulled her headphones over her ears. The noise of the city, the thrum of the cars and the rhythmic thudding of footfalls were drowned out in an … More Reclaiming Ara’banthe