Tariik threw the cloak at Raen.
“Put it on,” he said.
Raen picked up the cloak, disgusted. She had been the lowly begger last week. It should be Tariik’s turn to put on the stupid outfit and pretend to be robbed by Raen.
Raen sniffed the cloak. It still smelt of gutter oil and mud from last week’s escapade.
“Can’t we rob someone different today,” she sighed, throwing it back at Tariik, “and it’s your turn to wear the cloak.”
Tariik made a face. For a brother, he could be rather annoying.
“You were spotted last time,” he said, “and if mother and father find out.”
“They won’t find out,” Raen said, “because I’ve distracted them this time.”
“With what?” he asked, “it would have to be something pretty big.”
“Inheriting Uncle’s house,” Raen said. Tariik’s jaw dropped. She smiled.
“See, big enough,” she said, pointing to the cloak, “now put that on, you’re the beggar. Let’s see who we can nick some jewels from today.”
First Published in 2019
Featured Image by Alice Hampson on Unsplash
Enjoy this flash fiction? Check out some of my others below!
- You can’t re-write history“Stop this!” Vashna screamed, pulling at the ropes around his wrists, “for the sake of yourself, Maynie, you need to stop!” Maynie looked up from … More You can’t re-write history
- No way I’m eating that“There is no way on this side of the eleven circles of afterlife I am eating that,” Tanker scrunched his nose up at the proffered … More No way I’m eating that
- No One of Importance“Who are you exactly?” Ratve’s voice broke through the silence around the campfire. He asked what they were all thinking but he was the only … More No One of Importance
- Remember (but I can’t)“Remember when we said we’d first come here?” Sanra shouted in her mother’s ear over the roar of the waterfall in front of them. One … More Remember (but I can’t)
- The Return of the Green Witch (Flash Fiction)“If these are your fabled ruins,” Unlana remarked, “I’m disappointed.” Ewani ignored her captors remarks, drinking in the sight before her. The ancient stones still … More The Return of the Green Witch (Flash Fiction)
- Why did you say that? (Flash Fiction)“Why did you say that?” Tanee paused, wiping the knife on his sleeve. “What?” he whispered, “about the prophecy being bullshit? You and I both … More Why did you say that? (Flash Fiction)