Warmth. A kind warmth not the beating heat of a desert but the gentle caress of sunshine on your skin. Birds humming in the treetops, some loudly singing as they wing their way through the clear blue sky above.
It brings with it a sense of belonging. A sensce of presence. Because sunshine demands that you are present when you are under it’s gaxze. You cannot drift off or drift backwards into the past when the heat is keeping you here, now, today.
It’s a reminder that not all things are bad. That some things are good. That the very simple of things can be wonderful.
- Smoking Remnants (From the Archives)Ia looked down on the smoking remains of their village. Even from up here, in the safety of the mountains, she could taste the ash on the air. The anger inside her was deep, … More Smoking Remnants (From the Archives)
- My Thoughts on An Echo of Things to ComeWhen I started An Echo of Things to Come by James Islington, I was certain of two things. Firstly, reading a huge fantasy story that I hadn’t read before on an e-book was considerably … More My Thoughts on An Echo of Things to Come
- Writing On Caffeine – Worldbuilding and PlantsDon’t forget that this month in my newsletter, Writing on Caffeine, I’m talking all about how to build the natural world into your novel. The natural world is a huge topic, so I’m going … More Writing On Caffeine – Worldbuilding and Plants
- Why you need to go outsideIf you are active on any kind of social media, you are likely to see photos of beautiful writing setups, cosy desks, achievements of those who have written ten thousand words in a single … More Why you need to go outside
- Reborn (From the Archives)Gerald purred against Lily as she stroked him gently. For once the normally crazy cat was subdued, exhausted from staying up all night because of the fireworks. It was a new year. Lily didn’t … More Reborn (From the Archives)
- Top Tips for creating power structures in your fantasy booksIdentifying how power works in your world is important because, let’s be honest, power is what drives society. Who has it, who doesn’t have it, and what those in power do with that power … More Top Tips for creating power structures in your fantasy books