“You’d have thought that this would be worse,” Tino said, prodding the edge of the lake with a stick. The seaweed was thick, too thick to support life. The whole lakes ecosystem had been killed for nothing more than shiny rocks.
“It could have been worse,” Marei said, pulling out the robots from the back of the truck, “if they hadn’t put in the protective measures first.”
“Thank god for those,” Tino sighed, prodding the seaweed a final time. It was a two year mission to clear up the lake.
And that was being optimistic.
First posted in 2019. || Image Credit: Photo by Alice Hampson on Unsplash
- Sundown Sky“Reminds you of home, doesn’t it?” Canath remarked, kicking their legs under them. In front of them, the great City of Naithe burned into smolders, leaving trailing smoke … More Sundown Sky
- Slow Down“Can we please slow down a bit? I need a rest.” “I need to rest,” Davi said, sitting heavily on the dirt track, “please.” “We don’t have time, … More Slow Down
- This is not a plan“You said you had a plan for this?! Flying into the port with no approvals is not a plan.” Taelew looked over at his co-pilot. Yivonn was not … More This is not a plan
- Arrival at Maalek“Here we are,” their guide announced, “the legendary city of Maalek,” Serene rolled her eyes. The sprawling ruins in front of her did not look anything like the … More Arrival at Maalek
- Traits of a Turned“You don’t understand me” he said, head in his hands, “you can’t see inside my head.” Amily sighed at her brother. He was in a sorry state, not … More Traits of a Turned
- Reunited“Can you stop flicking that bloody coin,” Regan said, “it’s annoying.” Chasey flicked the coin up high again, catching it as it fell back towards her hand. “No,” … More Reunited