You can smell it in the air when you wake. The vicious smell of hopelessness and hatred.
You can feel it on your lungs. It aches like a weight, pushing down on every breath, forcing you to struggle. It’s like it wants you to feel the rush of air into your lungs, it wants you to fight for it.
But you don’t want to fight today. You can barely get out of bed, let alone do anything else. You just lie there, your brain clawing at your skull, thoughts like daggers slicing at your soul, until you want to just sleep and never wake up.
It calls to you, that dreamless sleep. It is addictive to think about, after all, if you’ve been to that place before, you always know it is there. Just waiting for the bad day to get to a worse day. Giving you another option out of this struggle.
My next quarterly newsletter is being released in September! Sign up now to make sure you don’t miss out! Subscribers get access to my free short story “The Gateway of Arieum”.
- Whisper (Stories on a Theme – “Soft”)Sometimes I think I can hear you in whispers. In the wind through the trees or the rustle of grass. In the crumple … More Whisper (Stories on a Theme – “Soft”)
- Stress (100 Words)It settles beneath your skin, into your very bones. You cannot help it. It is like a virus, slipping past your defences. You … More Stress (100 Words)
- Slide (100 Words)It’s not a breaking of a bond, but more a loosening. You see it, at first. The distance that has grown between you. … More Slide (100 Words)
- Flash Fiction – Past (Stories on a Theme “Mystery”)What is behind you can be forgotten. Technically. I mean, technically, it is no longer here and now. It is then and was … More Flash Fiction – Past (Stories on a Theme “Mystery”)
- Flash Fiction – Believe (Stories on a Theme “Human”)The world will get better. You hope. The world will be kinder. You hope. The world will still be alive in the future. … More Flash Fiction – Believe (Stories on a Theme “Human”)
- Flash Fiction – Setback (100 Words)The strength you find in a setback is the strength you draw on when things are going well. After all, it’s only when … More Flash Fiction – Setback (100 Words)