The blanket curls around your shoulders tight. It’s cold outside, a bitter, winter cold, and the heating is barely on so you don’t have to spend any more money on it.
So you’re left with your blanket, your cat, and your hot water bottle.
The cat sits on your toes, comforted by your warmth. She purrs happily, eyes closed, looking like a little loaf of tortoiseshell bread.
The water bottle, that’s on your stomach. You curl around it, trying to savour its warmth that eeks out of its red Christmas cover.
Maybe next year will be better, you think. Saving money is hard when living is hard enough. You resist the temptation to open up your banking app and look at the money in it. The little five pound saving you make.
The blanket is your source of comfort. It smells of home, of your mother’s cooking and your father’s cologne. It’s battered and patched and even has a few wine stains from where your sister came to visit and you didn’t want to put it through the wash.
You hold the blanket up to your nose and breathe in deeply. Maybe, in a few months, you can travel home and see your family.
But for now you have a moment to feel cosy with your blanket, hot water bottle and cat. And, for now, that will have to be enough.
- Sundown Sky“Reminds you of home, doesn’t it?” Canath remarked, kicking their legs under them. In front of them, the great City of Naithe burned into smolders, leaving … More Sundown Sky
- Slow Down“Can we please slow down a bit? I need a rest.” “I need to rest,” Davi said, sitting heavily on the dirt track, “please.” “We don’t … More Slow Down
- This is not a plan“You said you had a plan for this?! Flying into the port with no approvals is not a plan.” Taelew looked over at his co-pilot. Yivonn … More This is not a plan
- Arrival at Maalek“Here we are,” their guide announced, “the legendary city of Maalek,” Serene rolled her eyes. The sprawling ruins in front of her did not look anything … More Arrival at Maalek
- Traits of a Turned“You don’t understand me” he said, head in his hands, “you can’t see inside my head.” Amily sighed at her brother. He was in a sorry … More Traits of a Turned
- Reunited“Can you stop flicking that bloody coin,” Regan said, “it’s annoying.” Chasey flicked the coin up high again, catching it as it fell back towards her … More Reunited