The blanket curls around your shoulders tight. It’s cold outside, a bitter, winter cold, and the heating is barely on so you don’t have to spend any more money on it.
So you’re left with your blanket, your cat, and your hot water bottle.
The cat sits on your toes, comforted by your warmth. She purrs happily, eyes closed, looking like a little loaf of tortoiseshell bread.
The water bottle, that’s on your stomach. You curl around it, trying to savour its warmth that eeks out of its red Christmas cover.
Maybe next year will be better, you think. Saving money is hard when living is hard enough. You resist the temptation to open up your banking app and look at the money in it. The little five pound saving you make.
The blanket is your source of comfort. It smells of home, of your mother’s cooking and your father’s cologne. It’s battered and patched and even has a few wine stains from where your sister came to visit and you didn’t want to put it through the wash.
You hold the blanket up to your nose and breathe in deeply. Maybe, in a few months, you can travel home and see your family.
But for now you have a moment to feel cosy with your blanket, hot water bottle and cat. And, for now, that will have to be enough.
- We’re not going that way“Why not?” “Why not?!” Favian’s voice rose another octave, “because I don’t want to die, Renglat. I like all my limbs on me, not in the … More We’re not going that way
- Do you recognise this song?“Do you recognise this song?” The words were raspy and barely formed. Marlie moved her head slowly on the bed towards Ranlen, looking up at him … More Do you recognise this song?
- March of the ValentasAshayra was taller than Miaken expected. He knew that she was from the South, and like all Southeners was always going to be tall, but he … More March of the Valentas
- You can’t re-write history“Stop this!” Vashna screamed, pulling at the ropes around his wrists, “for the sake of yourself, Maynie, you need to stop!” Maynie looked up from the … More You can’t re-write history
- No way I’m eating that“There is no way on this side of the eleven circles of afterlife I am eating that,” Tanker scrunched his nose up at the proffered sandwich. … More No way I’m eating that
- No One of Importance“Who are you exactly?” Ratve’s voice broke through the silence around the campfire. He asked what they were all thinking but he was the only one … More No One of Importance