Sometimes I think I can hear you in whispers. In the wind through the trees or the rustle of grass. In the crumple of paper or the bell on a bike.
In that moment I forget you’re not here. In that moment I think hey you’re home and I look up and see-
And then the next moment I realise again. I remember. I cry.
I know the whispers will never go away. Those moments I forget will never stop happening. I know the hole will never really go away.
I like to think you send those whispers from wherever you are now. That you want me to know you’re okay up there. That you’re not alone. That you’re at peace and having wonderful adventures.
- Don’t Forget to Read (Monday Inspiration)Don’t forget to read widely. Stories you like, stories you hate, stories like your own project, stories completely different to your own project. To write, you have to read. Keep reading.
- Why writing novels is like baking sourdoughI spent a significant part of 2020 learning to bake sourdough. Like most people in the UK, when lockdown was first announced once way to relive stress was baking. Now, I normally … More Why writing novels is like baking sourdough
- The Journey takes Time (Monday Inspiration)Every journey has its own timeframe. Every journey has its own route. Every journey has its own purpose. Your journey for each creative project is completely unique. Let the journey take its … More The Journey takes Time (Monday Inspiration)
- Under the Arches (From the Archives)“Do you have it?” Lauren nodded, hand still tucked inside her jacket. It might not seem much, this little tin box full of blue powder, but it was going to change the … More Under the Arches (From the Archives)
- Writing on Caffeine – February EditionThis month in my newsletter, Writing on Caffeine, I’m talking about worldbuilding, particularly magic systems. Taking some of the advice from Brandon Sanderson (of whom I am a huge fan!), I’ll take … More Writing on Caffeine – February Edition
- Let’s See (Monday Inspiration)See what you can achieve this week. Even if it’s just ten words on your manuscript. Even if it’s just thinking about ten words on your manuscript. Let’s see what you can … More Let’s See (Monday Inspiration)