The sea is gentle today, a calm surf gently lapping the shore of the stony beach under your feet. You can feel the air hint at the warmth of the air that will come with the rising sun. You are the only person on this stony beach, whilst the sun has risen but the people have not, not just yet.
It’s quiet this morning. You like the quiet, it’s the only time of the day you can find semblance of peace from the turmoil within your life and mind.
You sit. The stones poke at your legs as you stretch them out in front of you. Uncomfortable, but not enough to move. Enough to remember that you are alive, and that life is sometimes uncomfortable.
The view before you is endless sea, stretching out onto the horizon. A few waves crest far out in the channel where the tide is going out. A few of the early morning fishing boats come back up the channel towards the dock, pushing furiously against the tide.
You take a few deep breaths, allowing time to become nothing more than the breeze around you.
Your phone rings. It snaps through the silence like a whip. You recoil, digging your phone out of your pocket, looking at the caller.
Dave Trant the caller ID said.
Your ex-husband now.
You sigh. Your quiet has been interrupted by the real world. The real world with its turmoil and its confusion and its pain.
You look up at the sea one last time, watching the gentle waves caress the shore.
Then you get up and walk back to your car. Back towards your life.
- New DayEach day is an unknown. It doesn’t feel like an unknown. You can have plans, have thoughts, have things to do. But each day is an unknown. Treat it as such. See … More New Day
- Rain (100 Words)Outside, the rain lashed down onto the windowpane. It’s almost calming, watching the calamity of the storm outside. It’s out there, and you’re in here. In that moment, you can almost imagine … More Rain (100 Words)
- Whisper (Stories on a Theme – “Soft”)Sometimes I think I can hear you in whispers. In the wind through the trees or the rustle of grass. In the crumple of paper or the bell on a bike. In … More Whisper (Stories on a Theme – “Soft”)
- Stress (100 Words)It settles beneath your skin, into your very bones. You cannot help it. It is like a virus, slipping past your defences. You cannot help but feel the cold shiver running down … More Stress (100 Words)
- Slide (100 Words)It’s not a breaking of a bond, but more a loosening. You see it, at first. The distance that has grown between you. Not from hatred, or any passionate emotion if you … More Slide (100 Words)
- Flash Fiction – Past (Stories on a Theme “Mystery”)What is behind you can be forgotten. Technically. I mean, technically, it is no longer here and now. It is then and was and it’s not going to hurt you here. In … More Flash Fiction – Past (Stories on a Theme “Mystery”)