Rain hammered around them. Another storm, this one would hopefully pass quickly.
In that moment, Rantia did not feel the rain smacking into her shoulders and soaking her clothes. She was lost in her memories, of happier times, of a home that was full of love and joy and wonder.
“You ready?” Veran’s voice crackled over the mike in Rantia’s ear.
Ranita placed her gloved hand on the handle of the door. It was broken, the door was already hanging off its hinges, but she did it anyway. A sign of respect.
They had searched for so long for this place. The place that Rantia could barely remember apart from the feelings of joy.
Now it was derelict. The roof had caved in with the force of the storms. The windows were smash, some even boarded up. Ranita wondered who had done that.
But coming back here would give her clues. Clues as to why her father had left. Clues as to why she could not remember.
Clues that might save them all.
“Yes,” Rantia said, wrapping her hand around the door handle.
Then, she pushed the door open.
- You can’t re-write history“Stop this!” Vashna screamed, pulling at the ropes around his wrists, “for the sake of yourself, Maynie, you need to stop!” Maynie looked up from the alter, hair askew and magic … More You can’t re-write history
- No way I’m eating that“There is no way on this side of the eleven circles of afterlife I am eating that,” Tanker scrunched his nose up at the proffered sandwich. “Oh come on,” Flanks said … More No way I’m eating that
- No One of Importance“Who are you exactly?” Ratve’s voice broke through the silence around the campfire. He asked what they were all thinking but he was the only one brave enough to actually ask … More No One of Importance
- Remember (but I can’t)“Remember when we said we’d first come here?” Sanra shouted in her mother’s ear over the roar of the waterfall in front of them. One of the original homes of the … More Remember (but I can’t)
- The Return of the Green Witch (Flash Fiction)“If these are your fabled ruins,” Unlana remarked, “I’m disappointed.” Ewani ignored her captors remarks, drinking in the sight before her. The ancient stones still stood in tall columns, towering towards … More The Return of the Green Witch (Flash Fiction)
- Why did you say that? (Flash Fiction)“Why did you say that?” Tanee paused, wiping the knife on his sleeve. “What?” he whispered, “about the prophecy being bullshit? You and I both know we can’t live our lives … More Why did you say that? (Flash Fiction)