Rain hammered around them. Another storm, this one would hopefully pass quickly.
In that moment, Rantia did not feel the rain smacking into her shoulders and soaking her clothes. She was lost in her memories, of happier times, of a home that was full of love and joy and wonder.
“You ready?” Veran’s voice crackled over the mike in Rantia’s ear.
Ranita placed her gloved hand on the handle of the door. It was broken, the door was already hanging off its hinges, but she did it anyway. A sign of respect.
They had searched for so long for this place. The place that Rantia could barely remember apart from the feelings of joy.
Now it was derelict. The roof had caved in with the force of the storms. The windows were smash, some even boarded up. Ranita wondered who had done that.
But coming back here would give her clues. Clues as to why her father had left. Clues as to why she could not remember.
Clues that might save them all.
“Yes,” Rantia said, wrapping her hand around the door handle.
Then, she pushed the door open.
- The Lost Mage“So, you used to be famous?” Marle could hear the excitement in her Granddaughter voice. Surprisingly, it didn’t hurt as much as she expected it to. It had hurt when her … More The Lost Mage
- No Fighting, Not Anymore“We’re not fighting, not anymore.” Geiler held out her hand and dropped her gun on the floor. It rang out across the silent cavern with a resounding thud. “We’re not fighting?” … More No Fighting, Not Anymore
- The Joining Payment“We’ve got 10 minutes until the alarm goes off.” Fezula didn’t look concerned. She was never concerned about this. “Fine,” she replied, “let’s get to work.” She held out her hand … More The Joining Payment
- Can’t Do It“I can’t do it,” Felruza slammed her fist against the table. Why was it so damn hard? Why could everyone else do this one simple thing and she couldn’t? “It’ll come,” … More Can’t Do It
- Like the Sky at Sundown“You’re orange,” A bit of a state-the-obvious comment from Ryan. Cassie wiped the orange blood of her blade and sheathed her weapon. Monster blood never made for a particularly delightful colour. … More Like the Sky at Sundown
- Reclaiming Ara’bantheFathie pulled her headphones over her ears. The noise of the city, the thrum of the cars and the rhythmic thudding of footfalls were drowned out in an instant. Breathe, she … More Reclaiming Ara’banthe