Rain hammered around them. Another storm, this one would hopefully pass quickly.
In that moment, Rantia did not feel the rain smacking into her shoulders and soaking her clothes. She was lost in her memories, of happier times, of a home that was full of love and joy and wonder.
“You ready?” Veran’s voice crackled over the mike in Rantia’s ear.
Ranita placed her gloved hand on the handle of the door. It was broken, the door was already hanging off its hinges, but she did it anyway. A sign of respect.
They had searched for so long for this place. The place that Rantia could barely remember apart from the feelings of joy.
Now it was derelict. The roof had caved in with the force of the storms. The windows were smash, some even boarded up. Ranita wondered who had done that.
But coming back here would give her clues. Clues as to why her father had left. Clues as to why she could not remember.
Clues that might save them all.
“Yes,” Rantia said, wrapping her hand around the door handle.
Then, she pushed the door open.
- Daylight (100 Words)Minria peered out of the crack in the door. She could see the daylight streaming through the gap, illuminating the dust motes of their hide out. Three months Below had been … More Daylight (100 Words)
- Candle (100 Words)Yailn watched the candle flicker on the end of the bath, letting her thoughts wander. The week had been hard. Watching the world turn to dust outside as she just did … More Candle (100 Words)
- The Dream (Stories on a Theme – “Hope”)You write for the younger you. For the younger you who always dreamed but never believed you really could. For the younger you who wished with all of her heart to … More The Dream (Stories on a Theme – “Hope”)
- Future – (Stories on a Theme – “Hope”)It’s impossible to know what the future will hold. It’s impossible to ascribe a value to that future – a good or bad, a right or wrong. Because it’s not known. … More Future – (Stories on a Theme – “Hope”)
- Peace (Stories on a Theme – “Hope”)“What do you think?” Ilyen asked, taking another bite out of his dinner. The burrito juice dribbled out of the end of the paper wrapping, spilling onto the metal of the … More Peace (Stories on a Theme – “Hope”)
- New Day (Stories on a Theme – “Hope”)Sun bursts through the curtains. You wake up, eyes still full of sleep and head still full of dreams. You slowly recognise it is morning as you roll over in the … More New Day (Stories on a Theme – “Hope”)