“Oi don’t eat all the dip,” Rachel yelled across the room. She vaulted the sofa, grabbing the last of the dip from Trae’s hand and proceeded to spoon it directly into her mouth.
“Children, please,” Unash sighed from the corner of the sofa. She was the eldest of them all by 6 months, but her position within the group was mother hen. She made sure they didn’t go outside without their medipacks, she was the one who planned their assaults for their cell zone.
Rachel stuck her tongue out at Trae. Trae sighed and helped himself to another handful of crisps.
Mayra rolled her eyes from the door. They were still missing Ynal and Orlathel whilst they were out on their scouting mission. Only when they got back could film night begin – tonight was classics night with films from Planet Earth.
Their little cell was not the largest on the planet. Most didn’t want to share a house with an Enlightened, let alone two. Trae’s ability to read people’s thoughts put most right off, and Mayra’s skills with fortune telling was the final nail in the coffin. No one liked predictions, especially when those predictions foretold a huge battle in two years time.
“Hey Mayra,” Unash said, “can you predict when these two will shut up?”
“Probably about,” Mayra replied, looking into the kitchen to see the timer for dinner, “thirty minutes?”
Trae snorted. Rachel continued to eat the rest of the dip. Unash sighed on the sofa, picking up her book.
“Hey Mayra,” Rachel said, “grab the other pot of dip will ya?”
Mayra rolled her eyes. It wasn’t much of a cell, but it was hers. After years of being alone out in the wilds, to have a family who cared and protected was more than she could have ever dreamed off. Even if Rachel was sometimes ate all the dip.
- 100 Words – Unknown[100 Words is a story in 100 words or less, based off the word in the title.] The darkness of space … More 100 Words – Unknown
- Alone (Stories on a Theme – “Isolate”)“Hello?” The radio crackled in response. Gaeia pushed her knuckles into her forehead, trying not to cry. This was day forty … More Alone (Stories on a Theme – “Isolate”)
- Defeated (100 Words)“I can’t,” Tenae whimpered, barely able to hold the cup in his hands. The potion spilt out the sides, hissing at … More Defeated (100 Words)
- Evidence (Stories on a Theme – “Weak”)It wouldn’t be enough to bring them to justice, Alethina knew that, but it would be enough to something. That something … More Evidence (Stories on a Theme – “Weak”)
- Family Recipe – “Stories on a Theme” (Home)[Stories on a Theme – a weekly theme that I use as a spring board for short stories over the weekend. … More Family Recipe – “Stories on a Theme” (Home)
- Family Tree (Stories on a Theme – “Family”)Hannah looked over the birth certificate on her screen. The writing was difficult to make out, but she could just about … More Family Tree (Stories on a Theme – “Family”)