“Finally,” Casei said, resting her hand on her knees as she caught her breath, “we’re here.”
Sam snorted next to her. Casei glared at him.
“What,” Sam remarked, pulling off his gloves and taking a drink out of his water bottle, “it’s another three hours to Palen from here.
“We’re in the outer edges of the ruins though,” Casei said, “we’re at the basin, Sam. That’s basically there.”
Yeh, she knew there was a three hour walk left. She could just about see the tops of the Palen spires sticking out from the top of the forest that cascaded throughout the basin below them. It was miles yet.
But it would be worth it when they got there and found the lost Gemstones of Palen. When Sam and Casei were the ones to return the Gemstones home to their rightful place in the Islands of Azorde.
They’d be classed as heroes in the history books. Like the great Explorers Trayat and Imoar.
I bet Trayat had an easier time thought, Casei thought. At least Trayat explored the relatively safe Seas of Azorde. At least he wasn’t working behind enemy lines without any hint of being rescued.
“Come on,” Sam said, holding out his hand, “let’s get moving. We can make a few more miles before we make camp.”
Always Sam keeping them going. What would she do with out him?
“You’re always right you know that,” Casei said, taking Sam’s hand and allowing him to help pull her upright. By Zanak, her feet ached.
“Try to be,” he smiled at her, “come on, Palen won’t wait forever.
“Palen has waited for three hundred years,” Casei remarked, “it can wait for five more minutes.”
- Solitary Confinement (Stories on a Theme – “Isolate”)“Can I sit?” Yanet looked up from her lunch. The woman, a newbie by the yellow stripes on her arms, stood with her tray of food. She had her newly issued cropped … More Solitary Confinement (Stories on a Theme – “Isolate”)
- Memories of Hope (Stories on a Theme – “Isolate”)Fuane sat on the floor, deep in her memories. The memories were the access point to the future. They were a window to the past, pulling time from a place that did … More Memories of Hope (Stories on a Theme – “Isolate”)
- The Jewel of Hanerath (Stories on a Theme – “Isolate”)“HOLD IT!” Cathen yelled. I’m trying gods damn you, Thyren thought. He forced himself to hold onto the spell book, despite the heat radiating off it. The magic poured off the pages, … More The Jewel of Hanerath (Stories on a Theme – “Isolate”)
- Alone (Stories on a Theme – “Isolate”)“Hello?” The radio crackled in response. Gaeia pushed her knuckles into her forehead, trying not to cry. This was day forty one. Forty one days of no response from the base down … More Alone (Stories on a Theme – “Isolate”)
- Trick (Stories on a Theme – “Magic”)“See this?” It was the watch that always got their attention. People seemed to gravitate to the huge face, the sparkly dials and the complicated mechanism inside. Gerag held the watch up … More Trick (Stories on a Theme – “Magic”)
- Evidence (Stories on a Theme – “Weak”)It wouldn’t be enough to bring them to justice, Alethina knew that, but it would be enough to something. That something was most likely call the powers of all four Captains down … More Evidence (Stories on a Theme – “Weak”)