Nathon woke to the gentle song of the seabirds harmonising with the lapping of the waves against his boat.
He could pick out the regular Warblers’ crys, mixing with the distinctive shrill call of the Ranyan’s Bird. There was even a little hint of a Maradox in there, distant and barely audible below the deck.
He smiled, eyes closed, listening to the sounds. Enclosed in the dark cabin of his ship, the sounds were clearer to his ear. Less distractions, down below. More room to focus.
Nathon typed with his left hand on his infopad, recording the individual bird calls he heard. Each one would be sent back to the lab, along with the recordings themselves, showing the damn Council of Nine that there were protected species living here on the Lost Islands. That they were alive and well without human intervention and it should stay that way.
Nathon paused his typing. The sound was too loud, clouding over the delicate notes from the Yulabe, a tiny little songbird that was only found on cliffedges overlooking the Everglade seas. He’d only ever seen one Yulabe before, but to hear it-
Divine, he thought, smiling to himself.
- Not anywhereDead Dead. Not alive. Not here. Not anywhere that I can perceive. Just. Not here. What does that mean for life, when … More Not anywhere
- New DayEach day is an unknown. It doesn’t feel like an unknown. You can have plans, have thoughts, have things to do. But … More New Day
- Rain (100 Words)Outside, the rain lashed down onto the windowpane. It’s almost calming, watching the calamity of the storm outside. It’s out there, and … More Rain (100 Words)
- Whisper (Stories on a Theme – “Soft”)Sometimes I think I can hear you in whispers. In the wind through the trees or the rustle of grass. In the … More Whisper (Stories on a Theme – “Soft”)
- Stress (100 Words)It settles beneath your skin, into your very bones. You cannot help it. It is like a virus, slipping past your defences. … More Stress (100 Words)
- Slide (100 Words)It’s not a breaking of a bond, but more a loosening. You see it, at first. The distance that has grown between … More Slide (100 Words)