“Put me down here,” Wilal said.
The attendants did as he wished, laying the palanquin gently onto the ground. Wilal could smell the Northern Winds from here, the top of Lastmount Ridge. The salty smell of his home in the Northern Wilds, a place had not been to in years.
Not since he had deserted.
“Leave me,” Wilal said, waving to his attendants. It took all of his effort to move his wrist, but he was not going to show weakness in front of them. No one could know of how ill the great King of Lastmount was. It would destroy the peace he had spent years building.
Until Evatl takes the thone, he thought. His eldest daughter, waiting in the wings for his demise. She was smart, capable and most importantly compassionate. The world needed a compassionated ruler, after the wars of the last two hundred. Wilal had inherited a bloodied mess from his mother and his grandfather before her. Maybe, Evatl would be spared a kinder rule.
Wilal waited until he heard his attendants retreat behind the ridge, and then he let his façade fall. The Northern Winds called to him, the salt singing in his bones. How he wished he could return home, to the Northern Garrison. That was his true home, his true calling, staked out on the Crescent Islands, learning about magics of old.
Forgive me, he thought. The Northern Winds howled around him, tugging at his thin grey hair and chilling him to the core.
Silence met his plea. Clearly the Crescent Islands were not listening today.
Or they were ignoring me, he thought. Wilal forced his hand into the air, gesturing for his attendants to pick him up again.
He would have to try again tomorrow.
- The Document (A Teacup Story)“You got it?” Fethna asked as Nattali got into the car. “Ye of little faith,” Nattali said, pulling out … More The Document (A Teacup Story)
- Rain (100 Words)Outside, the rain lashed down onto the windowpane. It’s almost calming, watching the calamity of the storm outside. It’s … More Rain (100 Words)
- New Love (A Teacup Story)“So,” Iuen asked, “what do you think?” Ealia looked over at Iuen. Part of her wondered absently if he … More New Love (A Teacup Story)
- Wisdom (A 100 Words Story)What is wisdom? I mean, it’s not an age thing. Wisdom can be youthful. It’s not a knowledge thing, … More Wisdom (A 100 Words Story)
- After the Battle (A Teacup Story)“How are you doing, now?” Yinla asked. Oaleth poked the fire with the end of a stick. The smoke … More After the Battle (A Teacup Story)
- Daylight (100 Words)Minria peered out of the crack in the door. She could see the daylight streaming through the gap, illuminating … More Daylight (100 Words)