When you read something that makes you feel jealous of the author’s writing, take a step back. Remember you are here to learn. What about their writing makes you wish you could do it yourself?
Lean from other authors, other writers. Take what they do and add it into your own portfolio of work.
There will always be people who are better writers than you. But that’s okay, because then you can be inspired by them to up your own game.
- My thoughts on Ship of Magic – beginning the Liveship Traders TrilogyHaving finished the Farseer Trilogy, I then had a decision whether I wanted to follow the rest of the Realm of the Elderlings storyline in chronological or published order. I … More My thoughts on Ship of Magic – beginning the Liveship Traders Trilogy
- Using Minor Characters in your WritingWhen I talk about a minor character, I’m talking about those characters who doesn’t really have a purpose beyond adding colour to a particular Point of View character’s story. Perhaps … More Using Minor Characters in your Writing
- Using Sub-Plots in your Fantasy StoryFor me, a Sub-Plot is anything that takes the characters away from the main thread of the story on a merry little jaunt of their own, and then weaves its … More Using Sub-Plots in your Fantasy Story
- My Thoughts on “The Rings of Power”Normally, I try and have my opinion pieces about books that I’ve read. However, this month, books have not been read. My lack of commuting over the summer has meant … More My Thoughts on “The Rings of Power”
- Finishing the Farseer Trilogy – my thoughts on Assassin’s QuestThe last book in the Farseer Trilogy we weave our way to the conclusion of Fitz’ quest to find Verity, who has been lost in the mountains since the end … More Finishing the Farseer Trilogy – my thoughts on Assassin’s Quest
- How to create a map of your fantasy worldYou know you’re reading a fantasy book when the first two (or sometimes multiple) pages are of maps of the world. These help give your reader a visual context (and … More How to create a map of your fantasy world