When you read something that makes you feel jealous of the author’s writing, take a step back. Remember you are here to learn. What about their writing makes you wish you could do it yourself?
Lean from other authors, other writers. Take what they do and add it into your own portfolio of work.
There will always be people who are better writers than you. But that’s okay, because then you can be inspired by them to up your own game.
#Mondayinspiration is a chance for me to share my own motivational post it notes with the writing world at large. In the hope, maybe that someone else finds it as helpful as I do!
- The Basics of a Fantasy StoryThe fantasy genre may be a vast, magical landscape, but there are always three core areas of any fantasy story that are key – worldbuilding, magic systems, and themes. If … More The Basics of a Fantasy Story
- How To: EndingsEndings of a story have a special place in my writerly heart. Finding the right ending to a story, especially a longer project that I’ve been working on for a … More How To: Endings
- Wordcounts aren’t everythingWordcounts are a stable of any writer’s life. They’re an excellent way to measure progress through a draft, and a good way of working out how your pacing is working … More Wordcounts aren’t everything
- How To: Write when you’re busyIn one of my blogs last month, one of the reasons I said why writing is a Good Hobby is because you don’t need all the time in the world … More How To: Write when you’re busy
- Choosing the Right Words‘Sticks and stones my break my bones, but words will never hurt me’. It’s an old adage, one which is rattled out again and again to try and say how … More Choosing the Right Words
- How To: A Character’s VoiceHaving a distinctive character voice for each character can help your reader understand their secret inner words. Not just through dialect, but the type of words they use and who … More How To: A Character’s Voice