When you read something that makes you feel jealous of the author’s writing, take a step back. Remember you are here to learn. What about their writing makes you wish you could do it yourself?
Lean from other authors, other writers. Take what they do and add it into your own portfolio of work.
There will always be people who are better writers than you. But that’s okay, because then you can be inspired by them to up your own game.
#Mondayinspiration is a chance for me to share my own motivational post it notes with the writing world at large. In the hope, maybe that someone else finds it as helpful as I do!
- Why High Fantasy is GreatI’ve previously written on why everyone should read a fantasy book at least once. But today, it’s all about the High Fantasy, why it’s brilliant, and why you should definitely … More Why High Fantasy is Great
- How To: Basics of PlottingThere are hundreds upon hundreds of tools out there on the internet to teach you the fundamental parts of a story. However, I want to tell you a secret- Come … More How To: Basics of Plotting
- Unproductive? That’s okayI’ve seen lots of posts over the last few months that are all about being productive. Using new freed up time from lack of commutes or being furloughed to create. … More Unproductive? That’s okay
- “How To” – Creatures & AnimalsThis edition of my “How To” series I’m looking at creatures & animals that populate your fantasy world – how to make them unique, how to make them fit within … More “How To” – Creatures & Animals
- Why female protagonists are important in the fantasy genreOne of my loves of fantasy is seeing so many lady heroines kicking ass and taking names. Not all of them are the typical “warrior” archetypes, but each of them … More Why female protagonists are important in the fantasy genre
- "How To" – WeatherThe weather. Not something that would normally be considered paramount in a worldbuilding session. It’s a thing that, unless fundamental to your story (e.g. Stormlight Archives’ “Highstorms”), it is part … More "How To" – Weather