Reading is as important to be a good writer as it is to practice writing. You can see how other stories are constructed and written, how they’ve dealt with the same plot pains you have, how they’ve created tension and pacing.
Reading also allows you to be a reader again, just a reader enjoying a story. In the midst of writing and editing, you need to see stories from the reader’s perspective. The person who doesn’t see the pain and the edits and the old drafts, just the finished story that they love.
#Mondayinspiration is a chance for me to share my own motivational post it notes with the writing world at large. In the hope, maybe that someone else finds it as helpful as I do!
- Shattered Sands (From the Archives)Dany looked at the shattered pieces of pot on the floor and smiled. The Sand Pot that had dictated her movements her whole life lay in pieces on the floor. “You little-” her … More Shattered Sands (From the Archives)
- Make Your Reality (Monday Inspiration)You can make your dream into a reality. You can work towards it, day by day, until each tiny little change that you make, each tiny adjustment in your course, points you towards … More Make Your Reality (Monday Inspiration)
- Northern Winds (From the Archives)“Put me down here,” Wilal said. The attendants did as he wished, laying the palanquin gently onto the ground. Wilal could smell the Northern Winds from here, the top of Lastmount Ridge. The … More Northern Winds (From the Archives)
- Don’t Burn Out (Monday Inspiration)Passion projects are intoxicating because they are so involved. You can be sucked into them and loose all sense of space and time. It is just you and the words, and your act … More Don’t Burn Out (Monday Inspiration)
- The Night of the Eighteenth“Magic,” he said, sipping his drink,” is just another kind of force. Like the weather, or a good cup of tea.” The wizard smiled over the rim of his teacup at Aredria. She … More The Night of the Eighteenth
- A Bit Too TiredThis month can be summarised with one phrase: I am so f**cking tired. I intended to use September as an achievement month. A time to set myself a ridiculous 30k word goal and … More A Bit Too Tired