Reading is as important to be a good writer as it is to practice writing. You can see how other stories are constructed and written, how they’ve dealt with the same plot pains you have, how they’ve created tension and pacing.
Reading also allows you to be a reader again, just a reader enjoying a story. In the midst of writing and editing, you need to see stories from the reader’s perspective. The person who doesn’t see the pain and the edits and the old drafts, just the finished story that they love.
#Mondayinspiration is a chance for me to share my own motivational post it notes with the writing world at large. In the hope, maybe that someone else finds it as helpful as I do!
- Whisper (Stories on a Theme – “Soft”)Sometimes I think I can hear you in whispers. In the wind through the trees or the rustle of grass. In the crumple of paper or the bell on a bike. In that … More Whisper (Stories on a Theme – “Soft”)
- Gentle (Stories on a Theme – “Soft”)The sea is gentle today, a calm surf gently lapping the shore of the stony beach under your feet. You can feel the air hint at the warmth of the air that will … More Gentle (Stories on a Theme – “Soft”)
- Finding Home (Stories on a Theme – “Soft”)Rain hammered around them. Another storm, this one would hopefully pass quickly. In that moment, Rantia did not feel the rain smacking into her shoulders and soaking her clothes. She was lost in … More Finding Home (Stories on a Theme – “Soft”)
- Time is Relative (Monday Inspiration)Sure, some people write their novels faster than others. Some people started the journey sooner, and so have already shown signs of success. Others have been at it for years, and are now … More Time is Relative (Monday Inspiration)
- Home (Stories on a Theme – “Family”)Home is a place from which you can launch yourself and your ideas into the world. It’s a safe space. It’s your space. Every wall, every floor, everything in it is all yours. … More Home (Stories on a Theme – “Family”)
- Create my Own (Stories on a Theme – “Family”)“Oi don’t eat all the dip,” Rachel yelled across the room. She vaulted the sofa, grabbing the last of the dip from Trae’s hand and proceeded to spoon it directly into her mouth. … More Create my Own (Stories on a Theme – “Family”)