The stars twinkle above you, gently pulsing as they bubble and collapse upon the backdrop of the universe.
You watch them throughout the night. Hoping for guidance. Wisdom. Assurance.
Tomorrow, your country goes to battle. You lead it, at the front, donned in the glory of armour, a canvas to be painted with the blood of your foes.
Tonight, however, you watch the stars. So far away. So vast and powerful.
And it makes you feel small.
So small. So insignificant. Which is what you need, a night before a battle. To feel small before your army roars your name. To feel insignificant as your suitors bow to you.
The crown sits in the grass next to you. You place your fingers in it, intwine them with the gold and silver leaves that tie together. Your mother and your grandmother wore it before you. They too, won great battles.
It was your mother who told you about the stars, to watch them before you fought. To be humbled by the majesty of space, to remember the forebearers of your current kingdom who flew across the stars.
So you watch the stars, bathed gently in their luminous glow, waiting for dawn to rise over the horizon at your feet.
- Reclaiming Ara’bantheFathie pulled her headphones over her ears. The noise of the city, the thrum of the cars and the rhythmic thudding of footfalls … More Reclaiming Ara’banthe
- The Document (A Teacup Story)“You got it?” Fethna asked as Nattali got into the car. “Ye of little faith,” Nattali said, pulling out the folder from under … More The Document (A Teacup Story)
- New Love (A Teacup Story)“So,” Iuen asked, “what do you think?” Ealia looked over at Iuen. Part of her wondered absently if he would ever get the … More New Love (A Teacup Story)
- After the Battle (A Teacup Story)“How are you doing, now?” Yinla asked. Oaleth poked the fire with the end of a stick. The smoke curled upwards into the … More After the Battle (A Teacup Story)
- Daylight (100 Words)Minria peered out of the crack in the door. She could see the daylight streaming through the gap, illuminating the dust motes of … More Daylight (100 Words)
- Peace (Stories on a Theme – “Hope”)“What do you think?” Ilyen asked, taking another bite out of his dinner. The burrito juice dribbled out of the end of the … More Peace (Stories on a Theme – “Hope”)