First drafts are supposed to be messy. They’re supposed to be full of holes and phrases that don’t quite work. The words that are in bold because you haven’t created that part of the world yet, or names of people you haven’t thought through.
It’s okay if your first draft doesn’t work. Because your second draft will be a little better. And your third will be better again.
And so on and so on.
Until you reach your final draft.
- This is not a plan“You said you had a plan for this?! Flying into the port with no approvals is not a plan.” Taelew looked over at his co-pilot. … More This is not a plan
- Arrival at Maalek“Here we are,” their guide announced, “the legendary city of Maalek,” Serene rolled her eyes. The sprawling ruins in front of her did not look … More Arrival at Maalek
- Traits of a Turned“You don’t understand me” he said, head in his hands, “you can’t see inside my head.” Amily sighed at her brother. He was in a … More Traits of a Turned
- Reunited“Can you stop flicking that bloody coin,” Regan said, “it’s annoying.” Chasey flicked the coin up high again, catching it as it fell back towards … More Reunited
- We’re not going that way“Why not?” “Why not?!” Favian’s voice rose another octave, “because I don’t want to die, Renglat. I like all my limbs on me, not in … More We’re not going that way
- Do you recognise this song?“Do you recognise this song?” The words were raspy and barely formed. Marlie moved her head slowly on the bed towards Ranlen, looking up at … More Do you recognise this song?