Vekna wiped her blade clean with a bloodied rag.
The blood sluced off the end of the blade, dripping onto the muddy stone floor. The body of the Corps agent lay at her feet, limbs splayed in an unnatural way.
“Oops,” Vekna said, sheathing her sword. The Corps were so inefficient with the people they sent after her. They had been the ones to train her and they thought sending a recruit straight out of the Caedem would stop her?
Maybe Benatr thought I would show mercy, Vekna thought as she stepped over the body and walking back towards the main street. It would be almost touching if Benatr thought that there was an inch of mercy left in Vekna now, if she was still holding out hope that her Vekna would return back to the Caedem and throw down her arms.
Vekna stopped at the edge of the street, hands drifting up to her hood. She glanced up at the rooftops, spotting a glimmer of sunlight from one of the windows.
They were watching her then.
She waved at the camera, before sticking her middle finger up at it.
Bloody Corps thought they could stop her. They didn’t even know what they had unleashed when they had sent her down into the Caves of Inet three years ago. Those caves had broken her down and now she had built herself back up again as a sword for hire whilst she sold her story of what happened in those Caves to the highest bidder.
And there was nothing that the Corps could do to silence her.
- Traits of a Turned“You don’t understand me” he said, head in his hands, “you can’t see inside my head.” Amily sighed at her brother. He was in a … More Traits of a Turned
- Music (Stories on a Theme – “Soft”)Anya shut her eyes and let the music drift over her pounding headache. The speakers were on their lowest setting, so as not to make … More Music (Stories on a Theme – “Soft”)
- Necromancer (A Teacup Story)Manela looked at the corpse at her feet. “Just do it,” Terak said. He always thought that this was easy to do. Necromancy was an … More Necromancer (A Teacup Story)
- Patron's Choice (A Teacup Story)“So, big day,” Merisa said. Gaele scowled further. She could feel the knots in her stomach already. Testing day was the worst. Testing for your … More Patron's Choice (A Teacup Story)
- The Curse of the Silver (Short Story)When Captain Iona finds one of her team dead next to a statue of Raem II, she knows that someone has stolen a cursed object with the notorious Queen Raem II’s tomb. But as more bodies pile up, time is running out to find out who the killer is. And Iona has her own secrets, ones which are more deadly that she realises. … More The Curse of the Silver (Short Story)
- Confrontation (100 Words -Flash Fiction)“FIGHT ME!” Tranegath roared at Hulun. Hulun struggled, his head still ringing from the previous blow. It would not be long before the guards came … More Confrontation (100 Words -Flash Fiction)