“Wake up,” Christie whispered in Garet’s ear.
He groaned, rolling over. In his half asleep state, he didn’t register the urgency in Christie’s voice.
“Wake, up,” Christie said, punching Garet’s arm, “it’s the Alarm.”
Garet woke up fully. The Alarm shouldn’t be going off. The Alarm wouldn’t sound unless there was something very, very wrong.
Like the outer shields had been broken. Just as they had feared.
“Are we going to die?” Christie asked Garet.
He felt the steely determination settle in his stomach. Not on his watch. Not today.
“Not if I have anything to do about it,” he replied.
Enjoy this flash fiction? Check out some of my others below!
- No way I’m eating that“There is no way on this side of the eleven circles of afterlife I am eating that,” Tanker scrunched his nose up at the proffered … More No way I’m eating that
- No Fighting, Not Anymore“We’re not fighting, not anymore.” Geiler held out her hand and dropped her gun on the floor. It rang out across the silent cavern with … More No Fighting, Not Anymore
- Peace (Stories on a Theme – “Hope”)“What do you think?” Ilyen asked, taking another bite out of his dinner. The burrito juice dribbled out of the end of the paper wrapping, … More Peace (Stories on a Theme – “Hope”)
- The Runners (Stories on a Theme – “Hope”)Winya dropped her bags on the floor. The metal floor rung out as the heavy bags slammed into the floor. Winya winced. Rugs, then, Winya … More The Runners (Stories on a Theme – “Hope”)
- Music (Stories on a Theme – “Soft”)Anya shut her eyes and let the music drift over her pounding headache. The speakers were on their lowest setting, so as not to make … More Music (Stories on a Theme – “Soft”)
- Inkling (Stories on a Theme – “Soft”)It wasn’t a loud feeling that skittered over Yulia’s skin. It was a soft, gentle one that gave her a hint that talking to Marielle … More Inkling (Stories on a Theme – “Soft”)