“I like what you’ve done with your hair,” Cassie said as Lyra sat down opposite her “it’s lighter?”
“Much,” Lyra said, grinning, “did it myself.”
Cassie raised her eyebrows.
“Really?” she said, handing over the menu to Lyra to choose. Cassie had already chosen fifteen minutes ago, when Lyra was supposed to turn up. But then Lyra had an affliction of being chronically late whenever she when anywhere.
“Yeh,” Lyra said, humming as she looked down the menu options, “some combination on the internet of honey and cinnamon.”
Cassie looked at Lyra’s hair, and then back to Lyra in a state of disbelief.
“Really?” she said. It did look good, but why on earth would Lyra even take the risk? Cassie would kill for Lyra’s naturally blonde locks, but no, she had dark, fine hair which was just generally crap.
“Yeh,” Lyra said, waving a waiter over, “I know you’re giving me that look Cassie, but it’s my hair. And I didn’t want to spend another 70 quid on going to the hairdressers.”
Cassie rolled her eyes.
“I know,” she sighed, as the waiter came over, “it’s just this is never going to be that good.”
She tugged at her hair hard.
“Come on,” Lyra said, “it’s not bad, just because your grandmother says so.”
“Yeh, I know,” Cassie sighed.
“Can I take your order?” the waiter asked.
“Yeh,” Cassie said, “I’m having the lasagne – Lyra?”
“The chicken pizza,” she said, “treating myself.”
“Everyone needs to do that,” the waiter said, smiling at them both, before taking their menus.
“See, you don’t need to take on your crappy grandmother’s opinions,” Lyra said, “your hair is just fine as it is.”
“That supposed to be a pun?” she asked.
Lyra rolled her eyes. Cassie burst out laughing.
Enjoy this flash fiction? Check out some of my others below!
- Not TodayThere are times that we remember the position the world has for us. The position that the world deems us to be in. The forced … More Not Today
- Not anywhereDead Dead. Not alive. Not here. Not anywhere that I can perceive. Just. Not here. What does that mean for life, when death is so … More Not anywhere
- New DayEach day is an unknown. It doesn’t feel like an unknown. You can have plans, have thoughts, have things to do. But each day is … More New Day
- They Don’t Own You (100 Words)There are many what ifs. Many maybes. A few near misses, a few but what about- All of them are meaningless. They’re not real. They’re … More They Don’t Own You (100 Words)
- Wisdom (A 100 Words Story)What is wisdom? I mean, it’s not an age thing. Wisdom can be youthful. It’s not a knowledge thing, not always. Wisdom can be granted … More Wisdom (A 100 Words Story)
- Lessons from Flowers (Teacup Story)Flowers can teach us a lot. They can teach us about what it takes to grow. That you have to be fed with the basics … More Lessons from Flowers (Teacup Story)