Some songs, some music, touches parts of you that you otherwise cannot interact with. The parts of you that you can’t handle without a tune to sooth the pain away, to allow yourself to look inwards at the cause of the pain and sit with it.
Learn from it.
There are songs that teach you, teach you that even though you get ingored by the ones you hope that love you, that does not mean the world has ended. That every feeling inside of you, as much as it is valid to feel, does not mean that you need to withdraw from the world.
It just means that it is. Maybe it’s a not nice feeling, maybe it’s hurt or jealousy or fear. Maybe it’s a happy feeling like when you listen to your first dance song, or when you feel unabashed joy.
Whatever it is, it’s just a feeling.
And that’s okay. Good or bad, it’s just a moment in time when it reminds you of something you have lost or something you wish you had or something you treasure dearly.
Each of those memories have songs attached to them. The lyrics don’t matter, the tune doesn’t matter, it is just the feeling of release when you feel like your heart harmonises with the tune.
Those are the songs you treasure. That you return to find comfort in your best or worst time.
Those are the songs that tell you, whatever you feel, that it’s okay.
It’ll be okay.
Enjoy this flash fiction? Check out some of my others below!
- Flash Fiction – Goal (100 Words)It’s the thing you’ll work towards. The end achievement. The thing that is worth all the blood and the sweat and the tears. It’s the … Read more
- Flash Fiction – Kind (100 Words)Sometimes it's easier to be harsh than it is kind. Kindness takes self reflection. A pause before you respond. It takes selflessness to be kind. … Read more
- Flash Fiction – Bored (100 Words)"Eugh" Lucy said to her computer screen. It was another slow day. No emails, no new work. Just processing documents until 5pm. She glanced at … Read more
- Flash Fiction – Smile (Stories on a Theme – “Facade”)A smile can hide so many things. It can hide thoughts. Thoughts you don’t want to share because they’re buried too deep. Because people won’t … Read more
- Flash Fiction – Sometimes (A Teacup Story)Sometimes it’s not even the memory that catches you, but the lack of one. The moment you sit, in a moment, and breathe it in. … Read more
- Flash Fiction – New Life (Stories on a Theme “Parent”)There is something generous and amazing about having a child. Not just the miracle of existence, but the idea that you can guide them through … Read more