Tariik threw the cloak at Raen.
“Put it on,” he said.
Raen picked up the cloak, disgusted. She had been the lowly begger last week. It should be Tariik’s turn to put on the stupid outfit and pretend to be robbed by Raen.
Raen sniffed the cloak. It still smelt of gutter oil and mud from last week’s escapade.
“Can’t we rob someone different today,” she sighed, throwing it back at Tariik, “and it’s your turn to wear the cloak.”
Tariik made a face. For a brother, he could be rather annoying.
“You were spotted last time,” he said, “and if mother and father find out.”
“They won’t find out,” Raen said, “because I’ve distracted them this time.”
“With what?” he asked, “it would have to be something pretty big.”
“Inheriting Uncle’s house,” Raen said. Tariik’s jaw dropped. She smiled.
“See, big enough,” she said, pointing to the cloak, “now put that on, you’re the beggar. Let’s see who we can nick some jewels from today.”
Enjoy this flash fiction? Check out some of my others below!
- The Joining Payment“We’ve got 10 minutes until the alarm goes off.” Fezula didn’t look concerned. She was never concerned about this. “Fine,” she replied, “let’s get to … More The Joining Payment
- Can’t Do It“I can’t do it,” Felruza slammed her fist against the table. Why was it so damn hard? Why could everyone else do this one simple … More Can’t Do It
- Like the Sky at Sundown“You’re orange,” A bit of a state-the-obvious comment from Ryan. Cassie wiped the orange blood of her blade and sheathed her weapon. Monster blood never … More Like the Sky at Sundown
- Reclaiming Ara’bantheFathie pulled her headphones over her ears. The noise of the city, the thrum of the cars and the rhythmic thudding of footfalls were drowned … More Reclaiming Ara’banthe
- The Document (A Teacup Story)“You got it?” Fethna asked as Nattali got into the car. “Ye of little faith,” Nattali said, pulling out the folder from under her jacket. … More The Document (A Teacup Story)
- New Love (A Teacup Story)“So,” Iuen asked, “what do you think?” Ealia looked over at Iuen. Part of her wondered absently if he would ever get the grass stains … More New Love (A Teacup Story)