Tariik threw the cloak at Raen.
“Put it on,” he said.
Raen picked up the cloak, disgusted. She had been the lowly begger last week. It should be Tariik’s turn to put on the stupid outfit and pretend to be robbed by Raen.
Raen sniffed the cloak. It still smelt of gutter oil and mud from last week’s escapade.
“Can’t we rob someone different today,” she sighed, throwing it back at Tariik, “and it’s your turn to wear the cloak.”
Tariik made a face. For a brother, he could be rather annoying.
“You were spotted last time,” he said, “and if mother and father find out.”
“They won’t find out,” Raen said, “because I’ve distracted them this time.”
“With what?” he asked, “it would have to be something pretty big.”
“Inheriting Uncle’s house,” Raen said. Tariik’s jaw dropped. She smiled.
“See, big enough,” she said, pointing to the cloak, “now put that on, you’re the beggar. Let’s see who we can nick some jewels from today.”
Enjoy this flash fiction? Check out some of my others below!
- The Document (A Teacup Story)“You got it?” Fethna asked as Nattali got into the car. “Ye of little faith,” Nattali said, pulling out the folder from under her jacket. … More The Document (A Teacup Story)
- New Love (A Teacup Story)“So,” Iuen asked, “what do you think?” Ealia looked over at Iuen. Part of her wondered absently if he would ever get the grass stains … More New Love (A Teacup Story)
- After the Battle (A Teacup Story)“How are you doing, now?” Yinla asked. Oaleth poked the fire with the end of a stick. The smoke curled upwards into the night sky. … More After the Battle (A Teacup Story)
- Daylight (100 Words)Minria peered out of the crack in the door. She could see the daylight streaming through the gap, illuminating the dust motes of their hide … More Daylight (100 Words)
- Peace (Stories on a Theme – “Hope”)“What do you think?” Ilyen asked, taking another bite out of his dinner. The burrito juice dribbled out of the end of the paper wrapping, … More Peace (Stories on a Theme – “Hope”)
- A Green World (Stories on a Theme – “Hope”)Nadine woke to the sound of birds singing. It was still weird, to hear that instead of the constant hum of the city traffic. Even … More A Green World (Stories on a Theme – “Hope”)