“Don’t do it,” the Captain warned.
Kenl smirked. What did the Captain know about how to use these jewels? Nothing. He thought they were just treasure to be plundered like anything else.
But Kenl knew. She knew the truth.
“Wat?” she spat back, purposefully dropping her home accent into her voice. She could see the Captain’s face crumple up in fury.
“Don’t drop them,” he hissed.
Kenl grinned, leaning backwards and hanging the jewels over the sea.
She just had to wait. She could hear the jewels already ringining, just slightly.
Of course, the Captain didn’t know what they were. He couldn’t hear the ringing.
Below the waves, she saw a shadow move. A huge shape, larger than the ship, swam beneath the waves, answering the stones’ call.
Silence fell over the crew. A few pointed over the side.
The Captain thought he was the one in charge. That he had doomed her to death.
When in fact, the Kracken was now coming for him.
Enjoy this flash fiction? Check out some of my others below!
- 100 Words – Clear[100 Words is a story in 100 words or less, based off the word in the title.] Open blue sky was a precious thing. Something … Read more
- 100 Words – Forgiveness[100 Words is a story in 100 words or less, based off the word in the title.] “Forgiveness is not about what has been done … Read more
- 100 Words – Unknown[100 Words is a story in 100 words or less, based off the word in the title.] The darkness of space sat outside the cockpit … Read more
- Control (Stories on a Theme – “Power”)Zeleth held the Orb in his hands, gently brushing his thumbs across the clear glass surface. Inside, the green light of the Uneltro followed his … Read more
- Enchant – Prompts on a Theme (Magic)Another short story based on the theme of "magic". “Egnara,” Helet whispered at the bracelet in front of him. It glowed slightly, a warm yellow … Read more
- Everyday Magic – Prompts on a Theme (Magic)A new prompt for this weeks "Prompts on a Theme – Magic⠀ Kelii flicked her finger at the water, bringing it to the boil for … Read more