Ineg brushed her fingers across the top of the cream pot. The thick blue substance stuck to her fingers.
She held it up in front of the mirror, holding back her hair with her other hand as she carefully dabbed the cream onto the top of her forehead.
The makeup was a practised art by now. Her fingers moved in the familiar pattern, swiping the cream across her face to form a single block of blue running from her eyebrows to her forehead.
Ineg wiped her fingers clean once she had finished, picking up the yellow eyeliner next to outline the corner of her eyes with the traditional wings of the Flights. Whilst the regulations said you just had to ring your eyes with yellow, Ineg preferred to create two dramatic wings in yellow and orange – her unit’s colours. Even if no one would be able to see it under her googles whilst in flight, she knew it was there.
Next came the lipstick – an orange to match the colour she used on her eyes. Ineg carefully drew round the outside of her lips, filling in the colour with an orange pencil. It wasn’t as bright an orange as she normally would wear, but today was not the day for bright lips. Lips traditionally were the place of happiness, the brighter the colour the happier you were.
Ineg could still remember the crash, the one that had laid her up in hospital for weeks. Her fight flight out was not a happy occasion, not without Yelt there by her side.
Her final pot was a pink one, tiny. It had been Yelt’s colour.
She dapped a small pink line under her eyes. Yelt might not be here now, but Ineg would always remember her.
Enjoy this flash fiction? Check out some of my others below!
- You can’t re-write history“Stop this!” Vashna screamed, pulling at the ropes around his wrists, “for the sake of yourself, Maynie, you need to stop!” Maynie looked up from … More You can’t re-write history
- No way I’m eating that“There is no way on this side of the eleven circles of afterlife I am eating that,” Tanker scrunched his nose up at the proffered … More No way I’m eating that
- No One of Importance“Who are you exactly?” Ratve’s voice broke through the silence around the campfire. He asked what they were all thinking but he was the only … More No One of Importance
- Remember (but I can’t)“Remember when we said we’d first come here?” Sanra shouted in her mother’s ear over the roar of the waterfall in front of them. One … More Remember (but I can’t)
- The Return of the Green Witch (Flash Fiction)“If these are your fabled ruins,” Unlana remarked, “I’m disappointed.” Ewani ignored her captors remarks, drinking in the sight before her. The ancient stones still … More The Return of the Green Witch (Flash Fiction)
- Why did you say that? (Flash Fiction)“Why did you say that?” Tanee paused, wiping the knife on his sleeve. “What?” he whispered, “about the prophecy being bullshit? You and I both … More Why did you say that? (Flash Fiction)