Ineg brushed her fingers across the top of the cream pot. The thick blue substance stuck to her fingers.
She held it up in front of the mirror, holding back her hair with her other hand as she carefully dabbed the cream onto the top of her forehead.
The makeup was a practised art by now. Her fingers moved in the familiar pattern, swiping the cream across her face to form a single block of blue running from her eyebrows to her forehead.
Ineg wiped her fingers clean once she had finished, picking up the yellow eyeliner next to outline the corner of her eyes with the traditional wings of the Flights. Whilst the regulations said you just had to ring your eyes with yellow, Ineg preferred to create two dramatic wings in yellow and orange – her unit’s colours. Even if no one would be able to see it under her googles whilst in flight, she knew it was there.
Next came the lipstick – an orange to match the colour she used on her eyes. Ineg carefully drew round the outside of her lips, filling in the colour with an orange pencil. It wasn’t as bright an orange as she normally would wear, but today was not the day for bright lips. Lips traditionally were the place of happiness, the brighter the colour the happier you were.
Ineg could still remember the crash, the one that had laid her up in hospital for weeks. Her fight flight out was not a happy occasion, not without Yelt there by her side.
Her final pot was a pink one, tiny. It had been Yelt’s colour.
She dapped a small pink line under her eyes. Yelt might not be here now, but Ineg would always remember her.
Enjoy this flash fiction? Check out some of my others below!
- The Curse of the Silver (Newsletter Short Story)When Captain Iona finds one of her team dead next to a statue of Raem II, she knows that someone has stolen a cursed object … Read more
- Crossing the River Ine (Teacup Story)Junea pulled the reigns of Ceanol sharply, bringing her to a halt. “Why did you stop?” Kanek asked, pulling up next to Junea. Garne, his … Read more
- Under the Arches (Teacup Story)“Do you have it?” Lauren nodded, hand still tucked inside her jacket. It might not seem much, this little tin box full of blue powder, … Read more
- Exploit (100 Words)“Now,” Ganetrak said, kneeling in front of Inael’s prone form, “you’re going to cooperate.” Inael strained against the manacles, but it was to no avail. … Read more
- Fortunes Path (Teacup Story)Fayan watched the bandits fan out in front of her. The Fortunes Path was the quickest way to the Mountains, but it was pitted with … Read more
- Defeated (100 Words)“I can’t,” Tenae whimpered, barely able to hold the cup in his hands. The potion spilt out the sides, hissing at is hit his skin. … Read more