Don’t come out, whatever you hear.
That was what Josie had told her. Big sister Josie, the brave one out of the two of them. Always ready to protect her siblings no matter what.
“Stay quiet,” Nei whispered to her brother,Ilo. He stuck his bottom lip out, but he understood.
“And no magic,” she said.
Ilo’s eyes grew wider.
“They can sense you,” Nei said, “no magic, please, Ilo.”
He nodded, just once. He was only two, but he knew what these games of hide and seek meant.
Outside, Nei could hear Josie showing the Inspectors around their small house. They would have sensed Ilo’s magic by now if it was not for Josie cleansing the house before the Inspectors got here. Thank god for the Village Watch telling them about the Inspectors.
“And you live here with?” one of the Inspectors asked.
“My sister and younger brother,” Josie replied. Her voice didn’t waiver at all.
“Where are they now?”
“Out shopping,” Josie said.
“Parents?” the Investigator sounded mildly bored.
“Died in the War Draft,” Josie replied.
Technically true. Just the War Draft from 200 years ago.
“Mmm,” the Investigator said, “well, it seems the rumours of a magic user here are unfounded. Apologies for the disturbance, Mistress Ul.”
“No problem, Investigator,” Josie replied.
Nei waited for the front door to slam. Then she waited another five minutes. That was the rule, incase they came back.
A rap at the cupboard door.
“You’re good,” Josie’s head poked through the gap in the doors, “for now”
Enjoy this flash fiction? Check out some of my others below!
- 100 Words – Clear[100 Words is a story in 100 words or less, based off the word in the title.] Open blue sky was a precious thing. Something … Read more
- 100 Words – Forgiveness[100 Words is a story in 100 words or less, based off the word in the title.] “Forgiveness is not about what has been done … Read more
- 100 Words – Unknown[100 Words is a story in 100 words or less, based off the word in the title.] The darkness of space sat outside the cockpit … Read more
- Control (Stories on a Theme – “Power”)Zeleth held the Orb in his hands, gently brushing his thumbs across the clear glass surface. Inside, the green light of the Uneltro followed his … Read more
- Enchant – Prompts on a Theme (Magic)Another short story based on the theme of "magic". “Egnara,” Helet whispered at the bracelet in front of him. It glowed slightly, a warm yellow … Read more
- Everyday Magic – Prompts on a Theme (Magic)A new prompt for this weeks "Prompts on a Theme – Magic⠀ Kelii flicked her finger at the water, bringing it to the boil for … Read more