A smile can hide so many things.
It can hide thoughts. Thoughts you don’t want to share because they’re buried too deep. Because people won’t understand.
So you smile.
It can hide feelings. The feelings that people don’t understand because they’re illogical. They make you feel illogical.
So you just smile.
When people ask how are you? How are you doing?
You can’t reply, because you can’t vocalise it. So many you joke, maybe you laugh.
And you smile.
Sometimes you wish someone could see though the smile to the truth beyond it. But, if we are all honest with one another, smiles are good for hiding thoughts and feelings. Too good, if you were being honest.
People don’t see behind the smile.
And so people don’t see your battle that you hide with it.
Enjoy this flash fiction? Check out some of my others below!
- They Don’t Own You (100 Words)There are many what ifs. Many maybes. A few near misses, a few but what about- All of them are meaningless. They’re not real. They’re … More They Don’t Own You (100 Words)
- Wisdom (A 100 Words Story)What is wisdom? I mean, it’s not an age thing. Wisdom can be youthful. It’s not a knowledge thing, not always. Wisdom can be granted … More Wisdom (A 100 Words Story)
- Lessons from Flowers (Teacup Story)Flowers can teach us a lot. They can teach us about what it takes to grow. That you have to be fed with the basics … More Lessons from Flowers (Teacup Story)
- Candle (100 Words)Yailn watched the candle flicker on the end of the bath, letting her thoughts wander. The week had been hard. Watching the world turn to … More Candle (100 Words)
- The Dream (Stories on a Theme – “Hope”)You write for the younger you. For the younger you who always dreamed but never believed you really could. For the younger you who wished … More The Dream (Stories on a Theme – “Hope”)
- Future – (Stories on a Theme – “Hope”)It’s impossible to know what the future will hold. It’s impossible to ascribe a value to that future – a good or bad, a right … More Future – (Stories on a Theme – “Hope”)