A smile can hide so many things.
It can hide thoughts. Thoughts you don’t want to share because they’re buried too deep. Because people won’t understand.
So you smile.
It can hide feelings. The feelings that people don’t understand because they’re illogical. They make you feel illogical.
So you just smile.
When people ask how are you? How are you doing?
You can’t reply, because you can’t vocalise it. So many you joke, maybe you laugh.
And you smile.
Sometimes you wish someone could see though the smile to the truth beyond it. But, if we are all honest with one another, smiles are good for hiding thoughts and feelings. Too good, if you were being honest.
People don’t see behind the smile.
And so people don’t see your battle that you hide with it.
Enjoy this flash fiction? Check out some of my others below!
- Flash Fiction – Growth (100 Words)How do you grow, not physically, but mentally? You have to make mistakes. Sometimes mistakes happen to you. Things that aren’t fair. Things that are … Read more
- Flash Fiction – Goal (100 Words)It’s the thing you’ll work towards. The end achievement. The thing that is worth all the blood and the sweat and the tears. It’s the … Read more
- Flash Fiction – Kind (100 Words)Sometimes it's easier to be harsh than it is kind. Kindness takes self reflection. A pause before you respond. It takes selflessness to be kind. … Read more
- Flash Fiction – Bored (100 Words)"Eugh" Lucy said to her computer screen. It was another slow day. No emails, no new work. Just processing documents until 5pm. She glanced at … Read more
- Flash Fiction – Smile (Stories on a Theme – “Facade”)A smile can hide so many things. It can hide thoughts. Thoughts you don’t want to share because they’re buried too deep. Because people won’t … Read more
- Flash Fiction – Sometimes (A Teacup Story)Sometimes it’s not even the memory that catches you, but the lack of one. The moment you sit, in a moment, and breathe it in. … Read more