“So, you think this was a good idea?” Garek said cheerfully. Too cheerfully.
They were the only ones left from their little group. It wouldn’t take long until the monsters found them too.
Janee cradled the small stick of information that could hold the keys to defeating the creatures. Their last hope. Bevan had given his life for this information.
“I hope so,” Janee said, looking up to the stars from their little hammock slung across the trees. Being off the ground was the only way to survive. But during the day, they couldn’t chance being seen by the Factor drones that governed the skies.
Death on the ground by monsters, or death in the sky from the humans.
“I hope so,” Janee whispered. She needed something to give her hope. They were so close, yet so far.
I hope so.
Enjoy this flash fiction? Check out some of my others below!
- World (Stories on a Theme – “Travel”)The world, really, is small. It takes less than a day to fly to the other side of it. It takes barely a heartbeat to … More World (Stories on a Theme – “Travel”)
- Under the Arches (Teacup Story)“Do you have it?” Lauren nodded, hand still tucked inside her jacket. It might not seem much, this little tin box full of blue powder, … More Under the Arches (Teacup Story)
- Trick (Stories on a Theme – “Magic”)“See this?” It was the watch that always got their attention. People seemed to gravitate to the huge face, the sparkly dials and the complicated … More Trick (Stories on a Theme – “Magic”)
- Tiola’s Bay (Stories on a Theme – “Sea”)“Docked, Captain!” Captain Elaya Truthwatch tipped the edge of her hat at her First Mate, Rodgers, to acknowledge the information. “We’re here for five days, … More Tiola’s Bay (Stories on a Theme – “Sea”)
- The Unathe (Stories on a Theme – “Magic”)Athery played a solitary note on his flute. The smoke at the centre of the room quivered, just slightly. The magic hung heavy in the … More The Unathe (Stories on a Theme – “Magic”)
- The Schism Sea (Stories on a Theme – “Sea”)Daneli sat at the bow of the ship, looking out on the horizon. The Schism Sea was vast, she had known that already. She had … More The Schism Sea (Stories on a Theme – “Sea”)