“Let’s go,” Necah said as he jumped over the boxes of strewn food and into his seat. Around them, the Guards swarmed, loading up their laser guns to try and cripple the Andreni to the ground.
“Get the sheilds up!,” Bethli yelled as the first wave of fire hit the ship. Necah could feel the Andreni rock under the force of the blast.
“Trying,” he said through gritted teeth. Firing up the full outer shield inside would require the engines to be fully revved, which given that they had only just been turned on, was not happening soon.
“Just throw up the interior ones,” Bethli yelled. The next round hit the ship, making Necah grab the side of his seat.
“I’m trying,” he said, flicking on the booster switches. The engines strained as he forced more power through them, but he could slowly see the telltale ripple of purple light crossing the cockpit window.
“Let’s go,” Necah said, as Bethli kicked on the accelerator to turn the ship around. The Andreni shuddered as it collided with the other ships in the compound, shouts came from outside as the guards moved out of the thrusters way lest they get caught in the engine exhaust flames.
“You know, next time we leave port,” Bethli said as she strapped herself into the Captain’s seat, “we’re not having a bet with the local Aengtr, k?”
“Oh come on,” he said, “we won so much equipment in that bet-”
“All their equipment,” Bethli said, lining up the ship to the exit. In front of them, guards began to line up in front of the launchpad.
“Yeh and all of the people who now lost their equipment are going to be looking for a giant blue ship,” Necah said, flicking on the secondary sheild layers. There was no point using weapons in this small space. The cargage wouldn’t be justified.
“Let’s hit the skys,” Bethli said, pushing the two driving throttles forward. The Andreni rumbled as the engines started to hit maximum capacity.
“Brace for this,” Bethli said.
The ship rocketed forward, skimming the top of the heads of the guards by inches, and launched into the sky.
Enjoy this flash fiction? Check out some of my others below!
- After the Battle (A Teacup Story)“How are you doing, now?” Yinla asked. Oaleth poked the fire with the end of a stick. The smoke curled upwards into the night sky. … More After the Battle (A Teacup Story)
- Daylight (100 Words)Minria peered out of the crack in the door. She could see the daylight streaming through the gap, illuminating the dust motes of their hide … More Daylight (100 Words)
- Peace (Stories on a Theme – “Hope”)“What do you think?” Ilyen asked, taking another bite out of his dinner. The burrito juice dribbled out of the end of the paper wrapping, … More Peace (Stories on a Theme – “Hope”)
- A Green World (Stories on a Theme – “Hope”)Nadine woke to the sound of birds singing. It was still weird, to hear that instead of the constant hum of the city traffic. Even … More A Green World (Stories on a Theme – “Hope”)
- The Runners (Stories on a Theme – “Hope”)Winya dropped her bags on the floor. The metal floor rung out as the heavy bags slammed into the floor. Winya winced. Rugs, then, Winya … More The Runners (Stories on a Theme – “Hope”)
- Cosy (Stories on a Theme – “Soft”)The blanket curls around your shoulders tight. It’s cold outside, a bitter, winter cold, and the heating is barely on so you don’t have to … More Cosy (Stories on a Theme – “Soft”)