I’m here, I know this. I can feel the ground beneath my feet, the wind against my cheeks.
But Zanthe, you know your mind isn’t.
Yeh, I’m aware of that. My mind is not here, because it’s there, on the spaceship 14 years ago when it all happened. My mind is always there when it rains because the rain sounds like the debris field clattering on the side of the spaceship.
And yet, here I am, standing in the rain and staring up at the clouds. The splatter of the rain against my cheeks reminds me that I’m not there. I can breathe, there are no warnings, no oxygen limits blaring in my ears.
Just the rain.
Hammering against my cheeks and the ground.
I stand here for around 10 minutes, until my clothes are soaked through and my mind is back here, on this planet. It’s just at the point when I start shivering from the cold that I turn back towards my small house, stepping under the safe protection of the porch and go inside.
Now, the rain just sounds like rain.
Enjoy this flash fiction? Check out some of my others below!
- Short Story – Killing FieldsKilling Fields (Rating: 15, Genre – Horror, Genre – Fantasy, Genre – Sci Fi) – (1004 words) – Petris walked into the Killing Fields with the hope … Read more
- Teacup Story – On the HuntTeacup story – a story short enough to fit into a teacup. On the Hunt – Ake and Sarah hunted monsters, demons who needed to be … Read more
- Teacup story – One ChanceMeg had failed, and now she only had one chance of redemption (Genre – Fantasy, Genre – Sci Fi, Genre – Horror, Rating – 12) Broken … Read more
- Teacup Story – I’m HereI 'm Here – Fey didn't want to accept the inevitable, that she would not have her husband forever. (Rating- 12, Genre – Sci Fi, Genre – … Read more
- Teacup Story – The Kayla BreezeThe night before the battle for Captaincy of the ship, Owett watched the stars. (Genre – Sci Fi, Genre – Action, Rating – 12) The stars shone brightly … Read more
- Teacup Story – Shot to the headShot to the head – Phevra fought the Afterlifes with her trusty Matilda and a bottle of vodka. It was all a girl needed in life. (Rating: … Read more