“Get up,” Unle said, resting her cutlass under her son’s chin. She could feel the eyes of the crew, watching her every move.
Hulan looked up at her with hate and defiance in his eyes. Even from here, she could see the tell tale sign of the star sickness, the bruising down the neck and slightly purple lips. How he had been infected, Unle had no idea.
But there were rules against star sickness. Before the carrier went completely mad and killed them all.
And that was to push them out of the airlock.
“How could you have been so stupid,” Unle hissed. She was trying to force back tears. She could not show weakness, not in front of the crew.
Hulan grinned at her, bloodied teeth making his smile a horrific grimace.
“You always underestimated me, Mother,” Hulan spat, “I’m stronger now. Stronger than you’ll ever be.”
Unle took her cutlass away from her son’s throat and sheathed the sword. She looked up at her First Lieutenant, Hichkess.
“Do it,” she said.
She spun on her heel, marching out of the room. Her son’s cries echoed down the corridor as he was dragged towards the airlock.
It was only when she reached her quarters did she allow herself to cry.
Enjoy this flash fiction? Check out some of my others below!
- Under the Arches (Teacup Story)“Do you have it?” Lauren nodded, hand still tucked inside her jacket. It might not seem much, this little tin box full of blue powder, … More Under the Arches (Teacup Story)
- Trick (Stories on a Theme – “Magic”)“See this?” It was the watch that always got their attention. People seemed to gravitate to the huge face, the sparkly dials and the complicated … More Trick (Stories on a Theme – “Magic”)
- Tiola’s Bay (Stories on a Theme – “Sea”)“Docked, Captain!” Captain Elaya Truthwatch tipped the edge of her hat at her First Mate, Rodgers, to acknowledge the information. “We’re here for five days, … More Tiola’s Bay (Stories on a Theme – “Sea”)
- The Unathe (Stories on a Theme – “Magic”)Athery played a solitary note on his flute. The smoke at the centre of the room quivered, just slightly. The magic hung heavy in the … More The Unathe (Stories on a Theme – “Magic”)
- The Schism Sea (Stories on a Theme – “Sea”)Daneli sat at the bow of the ship, looking out on the horizon. The Schism Sea was vast, she had known that already. She had … More The Schism Sea (Stories on a Theme – “Sea”)
- The Ruins of Evale (A Teacup Story)The next morning, the birds sung over the Ruins of Evale. It was a haunting sound. The city should have been alive with the noise … More The Ruins of Evale (A Teacup Story)