“Get up,” Unle said, resting her cutlass under her son’s chin. She could feel the eyes of the crew, watching her every move.
Hulan looked up at her with hate and defiance in his eyes. Even from here, she could see the tell tale sign of the star sickness, the bruising down the neck and slightly purple lips. How he had been infected, Unle had no idea.
But there were rules against star sickness. Before the carrier went completely mad and killed them all.
And that was to push them out of the airlock.
“How could you have been so stupid,” Unle hissed. She was trying to force back tears. She could not show weakness, not in front of the crew.
Hulan grinned at her, bloodied teeth making his smile a horrific grimace.
“You always underestimated me, Mother,” Hulan spat, “I’m stronger now. Stronger than you’ll ever be.”
Unle took her cutlass away from her son’s throat and sheathed the sword. She looked up at her First Lieutenant, Hichkess.
“Do it,” she said.
She spun on her heel, marching out of the room. Her son’s cries echoed down the corridor as he was dragged towards the airlock.
It was only when she reached her quarters did she allow herself to cry.
Enjoy this flash fiction? Check out some of my others below!
- Under the Arches (Teacup Story)“Do you have it?” Lauren nodded, hand still tucked inside her jacket. It might not seem much, this little tin box full of blue powder, … More Under the Arches (Teacup Story)
- The Otherworlds (A Teacup Story)Fyerik groaned, holding her head in her hands as she threw up into the bucket again. “Do I really have to try again?” she groaned, … More The Otherworlds (A Teacup Story)
- The Lost Exhibit (A Teacup Story)“Do you have it?” a female voice said from the shadows. James shuffled on his feet, feeling the weight of the small statute in his … More The Lost Exhibit (A Teacup Story)
- The Appointment (Teacup Story – Flash Fiction)“So,” the Manager said, “I believe we have an appointment.” Chela smiled, thinly at the Manager. No one knew her name, her real name. It … More The Appointment (Teacup Story – Flash Fiction)
- Teacup Story – To ChangeTo Change – Ulat refused to change for them, he wouldn’t change who he was (Genre – Fantasy, Rating – PG) Change was hard, Ulat … More Teacup Story – To Change
- Teacup Story – The GardenerMelyy was known as the Gardener, with a reputation for cultivating those plants that could kill others. She was a specialist, and a specialist’s skills were … More Teacup Story – The Gardener