“Get up,” Unle said, resting her cutlass under her son’s chin. She could feel the eyes of the crew, watching her every move.
Hulan looked up at her with hate and defiance in his eyes. Even from here, she could see the tell tale sign of the star sickness, the bruising down the neck and slightly purple lips. How he had been infected, Unle had no idea.
But there were rules against star sickness. Before the carrier went completely mad and killed them all.
And that was to push them out of the airlock.
“How could you have been so stupid,” Unle hissed. She was trying to force back tears. She could not show weakness, not in front of the crew.
Hulan grinned at her, bloodied teeth making his smile a horrific grimace.
“You always underestimated me, Mother,” Hulan spat, “I’m stronger now. Stronger than you’ll ever be.”
Unle took her cutlass away from her son’s throat and sheathed the sword. She looked up at her First Lieutenant, Hichkess.
“Do it,” she said.
She spun on her heel, marching out of the room. Her son’s cries echoed down the corridor as he was dragged towards the airlock.
It was only when she reached her quarters did she allow herself to cry.
Enjoy this flash fiction? Check out some of my others below!
- World (Stories on a Theme – “Travel”)The world, really, is small. It takes less than a day to fly to the other side of it. It takes barely a heartbeat to … More World (Stories on a Theme – “Travel”)
- Wisdom (A 100 Words Story)What is wisdom? I mean, it’s not an age thing. Wisdom can be youthful. It’s not a knowledge thing, not always. Wisdom can be granted … More Wisdom (A 100 Words Story)
- Under the Arches (Teacup Story)“Do you have it?” Lauren nodded, hand still tucked inside her jacket. It might not seem much, this little tin box full of blue powder, … More Under the Arches (Teacup Story)
- Trick (Stories on a Theme – “Magic”)“See this?” It was the watch that always got their attention. People seemed to gravitate to the huge face, the sparkly dials and the complicated … More Trick (Stories on a Theme – “Magic”)
- Tiola’s Bay (Stories on a Theme – “Sea”)“Docked, Captain!” Captain Elaya Truthwatch tipped the edge of her hat at her First Mate, Rodgers, to acknowledge the information. “We’re here for five days, … More Tiola’s Bay (Stories on a Theme – “Sea”)
- They Don’t Own You (100 Words)There are many what ifs. Many maybes. A few near misses, a few but what about- All of them are meaningless. They’re not real. They’re … More They Don’t Own You (100 Words)