What’s in a name?
Not much, and everything at the same time. A level of identity that is so core to yourself that you can barely understand how to exist without a name.
But a name, a name you choose yourself. A name that you pick out of a list, a name with history or with none.
Now that’s powerful. That’s you choosing your name out of all the ones available. This is you taking a stand and shouting to the world: This is who I am.
So what if it’s untraditional to pick a new name? So what if no one else has double-barrelled. So what if you take your partner’s name. So what if you have no partner but you choose to change it because you want something that fits your identity.
Because it’s a so what. The world may care what you call yourself, but they have no skin in this game. They might have views, but they are not you.
Only you can choose your name. Your identity.
And whatever you choose, for whatever reason, it’s the right decision.
It’s your decision.
Enjoy this story? Check out my other flash fictions below!
- Umbrella – “Stories on a Theme” (Rainfall)[Stories on a Theme – a weekly theme that I use as a spring board for short stories over the weekend. Catch up with the … Read more
- Teacup Story – UnknownUnknown – There are some things that are unknown (Genre – General, Rating – PG). I don’t know what is around the corner. But I don’t think … Read more
- Teacup Story – TryWho can know what is right? (Genre – General, Genre – Free writing) Will it be right? Who knows. But I want to know. You … Read more
- Teacup Story – TiredThere was some sort of contemplation that came from the depths of exhaustion, Leya thought. (Genre – General, Genre – Free writing, Teacup story, Rating – … Read more
- Teacup Story – The Small ThingsThe Small Things – The world is full of so many events that go unnoticed. But that doesn't mean they are not as important. (Genre – … Read more
- Teacup Story – Nature of WishesNature of Wishes – Sometimes, you can wish for the future, but it doesn't mean that is the way the future will be. (Rating – PG, … Read more