What’s in a name?
Not much, and everything at the same time. A level of identity that is so core to yourself that you can barely understand how to exist without a name.
But a name, a name you choose yourself. A name that you pick out of a list, a name with history or with none.
Now that’s powerful. That’s you choosing your name out of all the ones available. This is you taking a stand and shouting to the world: This is who I am.
So what if it’s untraditional to pick a new name? So what if no one else has double-barrelled. So what if you take your partner’s name. So what if you have no partner but you choose to change it because you want something that fits your identity.
Because it’s a so what. The world may care what you call yourself, but they have no skin in this game. They might have views, but they are not you.
Only you can choose your name. Your identity.
And whatever you choose, for whatever reason, it’s the right decision.
It’s your decision.
Enjoy this story? Check out my other flash fictions below!
- World (Stories on a Theme – “Travel”)The world, really, is small. It takes less than a day to fly to the other side of it. It takes barely a heartbeat to … More World (Stories on a Theme – “Travel”)
- Whisper (Stories on a Theme – “Soft”)Sometimes I think I can hear you in whispers. In the wind through the trees or the rustle of grass. In the crumple of paper … More Whisper (Stories on a Theme – “Soft”)
- Vulnerable (Stories on a Theme – “Weak”)To be vulnerable is to pull back your rib cage and reveal your beating heart beneath it. To show your true self with every facet … More Vulnerable (Stories on a Theme – “Weak”)
- Umbrella – “Stories on a Theme” (Rainfall)[Stories on a Theme – a weekly theme that I use as a spring board for short stories over the weekend. Catch up with the … More Umbrella – “Stories on a Theme” (Rainfall)
- The Dream (Stories on a Theme – “Hope”)You write for the younger you. For the younger you who always dreamed but never believed you really could. For the younger you who wished … More The Dream (Stories on a Theme – “Hope”)
- The Appointment (Teacup Story – Flash Fiction)“So,” the Manager said, “I believe we have an appointment.” Chela smiled, thinly at the Manager. No one knew her name, her real name. It … More The Appointment (Teacup Story – Flash Fiction)