“You have to be calm!” Fretr yelled over the sounds of the storm. Above, lighting cracked overhead in the dark heavy clouds. Henni could feel the rain start hitting her cheek.
She was the storm. She could feel its power thundering through her veins, taking her mind away from the ground and upwards into the swirling mass of energy overhead.
“Calm!” Fretr yelled, tugging at her arm. Henni could feel it, just a little, like a insect bite of pain in the corner of her mind. He had only promised to teach her how to harness the power of the storm if she stayed calm. It was far too dangerous for the village otherwise.
Henni sighed, allowing her mind to drift back to her body, letting go over the storms power. It was intoxicating, that much power. You were almost like one of the gods.
“Good,” Fretr said as Henni’s vision came back slowly. It was only then she realised she was lying down. She could have sworn she had been standing up a few minutes before.
“You,” Fretr said poking Henni in the ribs, “have to learn some restraint.”
Enjoy this flash fiction? Check out some of my others below!
- Under the Arches (Teacup Story)“Do you have it?” Lauren nodded, hand still tucked inside her jacket. It might not seem much, this little tin box full of blue powder, … More Under the Arches (Teacup Story)
- Trick (Stories on a Theme – “Magic”)“See this?” It was the watch that always got their attention. People seemed to gravitate to the huge face, the sparkly dials and the complicated … More Trick (Stories on a Theme – “Magic”)
- Tiola’s Bay (Stories on a Theme – “Sea”)“Docked, Captain!” Captain Elaya Truthwatch tipped the edge of her hat at her First Mate, Rodgers, to acknowledge the information. “We’re here for five days, … More Tiola’s Bay (Stories on a Theme – “Sea”)
- The Unathe (Stories on a Theme – “Magic”)Athery played a solitary note on his flute. The smoke at the centre of the room quivered, just slightly. The magic hung heavy in the … More The Unathe (Stories on a Theme – “Magic”)
- The Schism Sea (Stories on a Theme – “Sea”)Daneli sat at the bow of the ship, looking out on the horizon. The Schism Sea was vast, she had known that already. She had … More The Schism Sea (Stories on a Theme – “Sea”)
- The Ruins of Evale (A Teacup Story)The next morning, the birds sung over the Ruins of Evale. It was a haunting sound. The city should have been alive with the noise … More The Ruins of Evale (A Teacup Story)