Sometimes, life is one of those things that just happens and you only realise how lucky you are when you’re sitting down to eat dinner.
Maybe it’s at home, or on holiday, or with friends or family. It doesn’t really matter, but it’s just there, and it smells good, and your stomach rumbles.
It’s lucky because you have food you enjoy now. You have food at all.
It’s lucky because you’ve got friends to enjoy it with, to share stories and laugh about the world.
It’s lucky because if you’re on holiday, you’re looking at a vista of a world that is waiting to be explored some more. Maybe your feet ache from walking, your skin feels tight from suncream and your hair is greasy from sweat. But it’s here and the world is so big and vast and all for the taking.
Or maybe it’s lucky because you’re at home. A home cooked meal at home with your nearest family and those you care about the most. At your table, in your four walls, with food you brought and you created and you made. And it’s want you wanted.
So as you eat, wherever you are or whoever you’re with, you take a moment to realise where you are now. And that the now is good.
In fact, it’s brilliant.
Enjoy this? Check out my other flash fictions below!
- Rain (100 Words)Outside, the rain lashed down onto the windowpane. It’s almost calming, watching the calamity of the storm outside. It’s out there, and you’re … More Rain (100 Words)
- Whisper (Stories on a Theme – “Soft”)Sometimes I think I can hear you in whispers. In the wind through the trees or the rustle of grass. In the crumple … More Whisper (Stories on a Theme – “Soft”)
- Stress (100 Words)It settles beneath your skin, into your very bones. You cannot help it. It is like a virus, slipping past your defences. You … More Stress (100 Words)
- Slide (100 Words)It’s not a breaking of a bond, but more a loosening. You see it, at first. The distance that has grown between you. … More Slide (100 Words)
- Flash Fiction – Past (Stories on a Theme “Mystery”)What is behind you can be forgotten. Technically. I mean, technically, it is no longer here and now. It is then and was … More Flash Fiction – Past (Stories on a Theme “Mystery”)
- Flash Fiction – Believe (Stories on a Theme “Human”)The world will get better. You hope. The world will be kinder. You hope. The world will still be alive in the future. … More Flash Fiction – Believe (Stories on a Theme “Human”)