“You see it?”
Veeni nodded, despite the fact that RED could not see her from this angle. The problem with AI computers was that they relied upon the ship’s cameras to see their crew, and this spot purposefully didn’t have a camera.
It was the ship’s temple, albeit a small one. It also happened to have the floor to ceiling window that showed the raw energy of space beyond.
“Yeh,” Veeni whispered at the mike attached to her boilersuit lapel. It was more beautiful than she could have ever imagined. The nebula spilled across the vista in front of her, gorgeous purples and pinks from gas clouds hundreds of thousands miles wide gently tumbled across the background of stars. It almost seemed unrealistic that these gas clouds could destroy their little ship if they got too close.
“You think it’s worth it then,” RED asked in Veeni’s earpiece, “coming out here?”
Veeni smiled, leaning her head against the window. It was worth every stressful night, it was worth the scars from the smuggling vessels. It was worth the nightmares.
“Out there is my future, RED,” Veeni said, putting her hand on the glass, “that’s where I’ll find out who I am, where I’m from.”
Enjoy this flash fiction? Check out some of my others below!
- Short Story – Killing FieldsKilling Fields (Rating: 15, Genre – Horror, Genre – Fantasy, Genre – Sci Fi) – (1004 words) – Petris walked into the Killing Fields with the hope of wiping all the pieces off the chess board. Warnings – Contains graphic imagery and … Read more
- Teacup Story – On the HuntTeacup story – a story short enough to fit into a teacup. On the Hunt – Ake and Sarah hunted monsters, demons who needed to be dead. (Genre – General, Genre – Horror, Genre – Sci Fi, Genre – Fantasy, … Read more
- Teacup story – One ChanceMeg had failed, and now she only had one chance of redemption (Genre – Fantasy, Genre – Sci Fi, Genre – Horror, Rating – 12) Broken fingers wrapped themselves around the stub of a cigarette. The red end flared … Read more
- Teacup Story – I’m HereI 'm Here – Fey didn't want to accept the inevitable, that she would not have her husband forever. (Rating- 12, Genre – Sci Fi, Genre – Romance) Fey pressed her hand up against the cold plastic of the ship’s … Read more
- Teacup Story – The Kayla BreezeThe night before the battle for Captaincy of the ship, Owett watched the stars. (Genre – Sci Fi, Genre – Action, Rating – 12) The stars shone brightly in the middle of the ocean. There was no light out here, not … Read more
- Teacup Story – Shot to the headShot to the head – Phevra fought the Afterlifes with her trusty Matilda and a bottle of vodka. It was all a girl needed in life. (Rating: 15, Genre – Fantasy, Sci Fi, Action, Warnings – violence),. “Don’t mind if … Read more