Power is sometimes considered a dirty word, a word you don’t want to use because it means you have power over something. It’s an element of submission, you, the person with the power, over something or someone. You’re the one in control.
But that’s not always the case. Sometimes power comes from within, a courageous power that lets you hold your head high and stand up in front of something you don’t agree with. It’s the power to assert your life has meaning, your opinions have worth, and you have value.
That power is special. That’s you, standing up for yourself. It might be scary and it might be hard, but do it. Do it for yourself.
Enjoy this flash fiction? Check out my other short stories below!
- We’re not going that way“Why not?” “Why not?!” Favian’s voice rose another octave, “because I don’t want to die, Renglat. I like all my limbs on me, not in … More We’re not going that way
- Do you recognise this song?“Do you recognise this song?” The words were raspy and barely formed. Marlie moved her head slowly on the bed towards Ranlen, looking up at … More Do you recognise this song?
- March of the ValentasAshayra was taller than Miaken expected. He knew that she was from the South, and like all Southeners was always going to be tall, but … More March of the Valentas
- You can’t re-write history“Stop this!” Vashna screamed, pulling at the ropes around his wrists, “for the sake of yourself, Maynie, you need to stop!” Maynie looked up from … More You can’t re-write history
- No way I’m eating that“There is no way on this side of the eleven circles of afterlife I am eating that,” Tanker scrunched his nose up at the proffered … More No way I’m eating that
- No One of Importance“Who are you exactly?” Ratve’s voice broke through the silence around the campfire. He asked what they were all thinking but he was the only … More No One of Importance