Power is sometimes considered a dirty word, a word you don’t want to use because it means you have power over something. It’s an element of submission, you, the person with the power, over something or someone. You’re the one in control.
But that’s not always the case. Sometimes power comes from within, a courageous power that lets you hold your head high and stand up in front of something you don’t agree with. It’s the power to assert your life has meaning, your opinions have worth, and you have value.
That power is special. That’s you, standing up for yourself. It might be scary and it might be hard, but do it. Do it for yourself.
Enjoy this flash fiction? Check out my other short stories below!
- After the Battle (A Teacup Story)“How are you doing, now?” Yinla asked. Oaleth poked the fire with the end of a stick. The smoke curled upwards into the night sky. … More After the Battle (A Teacup Story)
- Daylight (100 Words)Minria peered out of the crack in the door. She could see the daylight streaming through the gap, illuminating the dust motes of their hide … More Daylight (100 Words)
- Peace (Stories on a Theme – “Hope”)“What do you think?” Ilyen asked, taking another bite out of his dinner. The burrito juice dribbled out of the end of the paper wrapping, … More Peace (Stories on a Theme – “Hope”)
- A Green World (Stories on a Theme – “Hope”)Nadine woke to the sound of birds singing. It was still weird, to hear that instead of the constant hum of the city traffic. Even … More A Green World (Stories on a Theme – “Hope”)
- The Runners (Stories on a Theme – “Hope”)Winya dropped her bags on the floor. The metal floor rung out as the heavy bags slammed into the floor. Winya winced. Rugs, then, Winya … More The Runners (Stories on a Theme – “Hope”)
- Cosy (Stories on a Theme – “Soft”)The blanket curls around your shoulders tight. It’s cold outside, a bitter, winter cold, and the heating is barely on so you don’t have to … More Cosy (Stories on a Theme – “Soft”)