Power is sometimes considered a dirty word, a word you don’t want to use because it means you have power over something. It’s an element of submission, you, the person with the power, over something or someone. You’re the one in control.
But that’s not always the case. Sometimes power comes from within, a courageous power that lets you hold your head high and stand up in front of something you don’t agree with. It’s the power to assert your life has meaning, your opinions have worth, and you have value.
That power is special. That’s you, standing up for yourself. It might be scary and it might be hard, but do it. Do it for yourself.
Enjoy this flash fiction? Check out my other short stories below!
- Necromancer (A Teacup Story)Manela looked at the corpse at her feet. “Just do it,” Terak said. He always thought that this was easy to do. Necromancy was an … More Necromancer (A Teacup Story)
- Decay (100 Words)Nadine watched as the world crumbled at his feet. The magic tore through the town, turning the buildings and people alike into dust. He lowered … More Decay (100 Words)
- Luminous (A Teacup Story)The stars twinkle above you, gently pulsing as they bubble and collapse upon the backdrop of the universe. You watch them throughout the night. Hoping … More Luminous (A Teacup Story)
- Planet (100 Words)“Would you look at that,” Zeeta said from the cockpit. The spaceshuttle arced gracefully downwards towards Planet 34-5, known in previous generations as Planet Earth. … More Planet (100 Words)
- Quarantine (A Teacup Story)Day 45. Day 45 started much the same as Day 44 and Day 43. Both boring days, with no interlude aside from when the food … More Quarantine (A Teacup Story)
- Fear (100 Words)The feeling was not of anger or of hatred. It was the bone sinking, gut wrenching quiet whisper of doubt. It was the thoughts Felicity … More Fear (100 Words)