There is something about sunshine that makes you feel better.
It’s not just the fact it’s warm, or that there isn’t a cold damp chill in the air that makes your lungs ache and your bones sore. It’s not the fact you can take out the pretty sapphire blue summer dress that has been hiding in the wardrobe for the whole of winter. It’s not even the barbeques (even though you love the food) that start filling up your social calendar.
It’s the simple fact that when you step outside you feel this glow. It radiates through your skin and through your soul, lifting up your mood as it does so. You can shut your eyes and turn your face towards the sun, like a flower would, and you can see the dappled yellow behind your eyelids. Taking away the blackness of your thoughts.
You smile. It’s okay. Today is okay.
Today is going to be a good day.
Enjoy this? Check out my other flash fictions below!
- After the Battle (A Teacup Story)“How are you doing, now?” Yinla asked. Oaleth poked the fire with the end of a stick. The smoke curled upwards into the … More After the Battle (A Teacup Story)
- Daylight (100 Words)Minria peered out of the crack in the door. She could see the daylight streaming through the gap, illuminating the dust motes of … More Daylight (100 Words)
- Lessons from Flowers (Teacup Story)Flowers can teach us a lot. They can teach us about what it takes to grow. That you have to be fed with … More Lessons from Flowers (Teacup Story)
- Candle (100 Words)Yailn watched the candle flicker on the end of the bath, letting her thoughts wander. The week had been hard. Watching the world … More Candle (100 Words)
- The Dream (Stories on a Theme – “Hope”)You write for the younger you. For the younger you who always dreamed but never believed you really could. For the younger you … More The Dream (Stories on a Theme – “Hope”)
- Future – (Stories on a Theme – “Hope”)It’s impossible to know what the future will hold. It’s impossible to ascribe a value to that future – a good or bad, … More Future – (Stories on a Theme – “Hope”)