There is something about sunshine that makes you feel better.
It’s not just the fact it’s warm, or that there isn’t a cold damp chill in the air that makes your lungs ache and your bones sore. It’s not the fact you can take out the pretty sapphire blue summer dress that has been hiding in the wardrobe for the whole of winter. It’s not even the barbeques (even though you love the food) that start filling up your social calendar.
It’s the simple fact that when you step outside you feel this glow. It radiates through your skin and through your soul, lifting up your mood as it does so. You can shut your eyes and turn your face towards the sun, like a flower would, and you can see the dappled yellow behind your eyelids. Taking away the blackness of your thoughts.
You smile. It’s okay. Today is okay.
Today is going to be a good day.
Enjoy this? Check out my other flash fictions below!
- The Return of the Green Witch (Flash Fiction)“If these are your fabled ruins,” Unlana remarked, “I’m disappointed.” Ewani ignored her captors remarks, drinking in the sight before her. The ancient … More The Return of the Green Witch (Flash Fiction)
- The Night of the Eighteenth“Magic,” he said, sipping his drink,” is just another kind of force. Like the weather, or a good cup of tea.” The wizard … More The Night of the Eighteenth
- The Lost Mage“So, you used to be famous?” Marle could hear the excitement in her Granddaughter voice. Surprisingly, it didn’t hurt as much as she … More The Lost Mage
- No Fighting, Not Anymore“We’re not fighting, not anymore.” Geiler held out her hand and dropped her gun on the floor. It rang out across the silent … More No Fighting, Not Anymore
- The Joining Payment“We’ve got 10 minutes until the alarm goes off.” Fezula didn’t look concerned. She was never concerned about this. “Fine,” she replied, “let’s … More The Joining Payment
- Can’t Do It“I can’t do it,” Felruza slammed her fist against the table. Why was it so damn hard? Why could everyone else do this … More Can’t Do It