There is something about sunshine that makes you feel better.
It’s not just the fact it’s warm, or that there isn’t a cold damp chill in the air that makes your lungs ache and your bones sore. It’s not the fact you can take out the pretty sapphire blue summer dress that has been hiding in the wardrobe for the whole of winter. It’s not even the barbeques (even though you love the food) that start filling up your social calendar.
It’s the simple fact that when you step outside you feel this glow. It radiates through your skin and through your soul, lifting up your mood as it does so. You can shut your eyes and turn your face towards the sun, like a flower would, and you can see the dappled yellow behind your eyelids. Taking away the blackness of your thoughts.
You smile. It’s okay. Today is okay.
Today is going to be a good day.
Enjoy this? Check out my other flash fictions below!
- Saturn’s Waves (From the Archives)“I’ve got it,” Xanete said, pushing the box across the table. The room was silent. Xanete could feel the tension in the … More Saturn’s Waves (From the Archives)
- Tiola’s Bay (From the Archives)“Docked, Captain!” Captain Elaya Truthwatch tipped the edge of her hat at her First Mate, Rodgers, to acknowledge the information. “We’re here … More Tiola’s Bay (From the Archives)
- Decay (From the Archives)Nadine watched as the world crumbled at his feet. The magic tore through the town, turning the buildings and people alike into … More Decay (From the Archives)
- Get Up (From the Archives)“Get up,” Unle said, resting her cutlass under her son’s chin. She could feel the eyes of the crew, watching her every … More Get Up (From the Archives)
- Discovery (From the Archives)“What is it?” Bethany said, as Trev pulled the box out of the ground. Even under the protective shade of their tent, … More Discovery (From the Archives)
- Reunited“Can you stop flicking that bloody coin,” Regan said, “it’s annoying.” Chasey flicked the coin up high again, catching it as it fell … More Reunited