There is something about sunshine that makes you feel better.
It’s not just the fact it’s warm, or that there isn’t a cold damp chill in the air that makes your lungs ache and your bones sore. It’s not the fact you can take out the pretty sapphire blue summer dress that has been hiding in the wardrobe for the whole of winter. It’s not even the barbeques (even though you love the food) that start filling up your social calendar.
It’s the simple fact that when you step outside you feel this glow. It radiates through your skin and through your soul, lifting up your mood as it does so. You can shut your eyes and turn your face towards the sun, like a flower would, and you can see the dappled yellow behind your eyelids. Taking away the blackness of your thoughts.
You smile. It’s okay. Today is okay.
Today is going to be a good day.
Enjoy this? Check out my other flash fictions below!
- Can’t Do It“I can’t do it,” Felruza slammed her fist against the table. Why was it so damn hard? Why could everyone else do this … More Can’t Do It
- Like the Sky at Sundown“You’re orange,” A bit of a state-the-obvious comment from Ryan. Cassie wiped the orange blood of her blade and sheathed her weapon. Monster … More Like the Sky at Sundown
- Not TodayThere are times that we remember the position the world has for us. The position that the world deems us to be in. … More Not Today
- Not anywhereDead Dead. Not alive. Not here. Not anywhere that I can perceive. Just. Not here. What does that mean for life, when death … More Not anywhere
- New DayEach day is an unknown. It doesn’t feel like an unknown. You can have plans, have thoughts, have things to do. But each … More New Day
- Reclaiming Ara’bantheFathie pulled her headphones over her ears. The noise of the city, the thrum of the cars and the rhythmic thudding of footfalls … More Reclaiming Ara’banthe