You know the colour three feet below the surface of the water?
That’s it. That colour. The deep blue that mingles with green as the light slices through it. It surrounds you as you tread water, trying to hold your breath as you take in the space around you.
Fish flitter by, darting through the sea like birds flying through the air. They are at home here, you are not.
Then below you, the deep backness of nothing as you float, looking down, not being able to see the bottom.
It makes you realise how vast the planet is, for there are depths down there that no human has touched.
You force yourself to the surface again as your lungs burn with their need for air, leaving the mysteries of the deep behind you.
Enjoy this flash fiction? Check out some of my others below!
- Not anywhereDead Dead. Not alive. Not here. Not anywhere that I can perceive. Just. Not here. What does that mean for life, when death is so swift and random. How can … More Not anywhere
- New DayEach day is an unknown. It doesn’t feel like an unknown. You can have plans, have thoughts, have things to do. But each day is an unknown. Treat it as … More New Day
- Rain (100 Words)Outside, the rain lashed down onto the windowpane. It’s almost calming, watching the calamity of the storm outside. It’s out there, and you’re in here. In that moment, you can … More Rain (100 Words)
- Whisper (Stories on a Theme – “Soft”)Sometimes I think I can hear you in whispers. In the wind through the trees or the rustle of grass. In the crumple of paper or the bell on a … More Whisper (Stories on a Theme – “Soft”)
- Stress (100 Words)It settles beneath your skin, into your very bones. You cannot help it. It is like a virus, slipping past your defences. You cannot help but feel the cold shiver … More Stress (100 Words)
- Slide (100 Words)It’s not a breaking of a bond, but more a loosening. You see it, at first. The distance that has grown between you. Not from hatred, or any passionate emotion … More Slide (100 Words)